#1 2023-01-17 19:17

sl23

Feature Request for Replace

Hi, I've been using ReNamer for years and decided to purchase it for the extra rules and preset saving.

I am a hobby music producer and have several soft synths (VST's) but several times I have had to rename presets to make them easier to read. Often naming is far to long and incoherent.

Currently i am renaming around 1000 banks of sounds for Sylenth1. Each bank differs in the amount of presets and their naming. I want everything named with prefixes, for example...

From this:
BASS*|*LEAD*|*PAD*|*DRM*|*KEY*|*KEYS*|*Arp*|*Atmos*|*SYNTH*|*TEX*|*SEQ*|*PLUCK*|*PERC*|*GAT*|*Fx*|*STAB*|*Chords*|*AMB*|*ORGAN*|*ZAP

To this:
BS*|*LD*|*PD*|*DR*|*KY*|*KY*|*ARP*|*ATM*|*SY*|*TX*|*SQ*|*PL*|*PC*|*GT*|*FX*|*ST*|*CH*|*AM*|*OR*|*ZAP

The first issue is that there are variations of several items in the list, eg BASS, BA, BAS will become BS; PLUCK, PLK, becomes PL; CHORD, CHORDS, CHO becomes CH; etc.

This means the list becomes very difficult to manage in the single line interface. Would it be possible to add a larger window for multi-line Replace rules? So for example...

BASS*|*BA*|*BAS=BS
PLUCK*|*PLK=PL
CHORDS*|*CHORD*|*CHO=CH

So each line allows variations and changes it to whatever is after the '=' sign, or some other sign if better.
This allows you to see and edit more clearly longer lists of Replace rules.

Another issue, that could easily be fixed, is that names are often changed when I don't want them to. Another example...

Synth - Big Chord

So here, 'Synth' should be changed, but NOT 'Chord' but the Replace rule doesn't allow delimiters like the Delete rule has. Could you please add this as an option to the Replace dialogue. With an option identical to the Delete rule, it would to stop renaming once the rule hits the delimiter, which in my case is ' - ' that's [SPACEHYPHENSPACE].

I expect this can be overcome using RegEx, but I know nothing about RegEx and this would also be a useful addition anyway.
What do you think?

#2 2023-01-24 12:53

den4b
Administrator

Re: Feature Request for Replace

Thank you for your feedback and ideas.

sl23 wrote:

This means the list becomes very difficult to manage in the single line interface. Would it be possible to add a larger window for multi-line Replace rules?

The idea of a different interface was considered in the past, but it was negated by the ability to define multiple individual rules.

sl23 wrote:

I expect this can be overcome using RegEx, but I know nothing about RegEx and this would also be a useful addition anyway. What do you think?

That is a very interesting question. We have been playing around with an idea of the so called Select rule, which would allow dynamically defining (selecting) a part of the filename so that subsequent rules would only affect that selected part. In your case, it would allow selecting the fragment from position 1 and until delimiter "-". At the moment it is still in the design stage.

#3 2023-01-25 18:25

sl23

Re: Feature Request for Replace

Thanks for your reply.

May I just add that I wasn't expecting a rewrite of the Rules layout, just a larger text area for the Replace dialogue. Something similar to the User Input area would be much better.

Or another option is to mimic XYplorer's way of editing larger sections of text. For example, in XYplorer, you can edit a button on the toolbar, not saying you should add that! But in XY, editing a button shows a window with several single line text boxes, the good thing with this though is that there is a button at the end of the text box to open a new window allowing multiline editing, a sort of mini notepad. Again, similar to the User Input rule you currently have.

I know I could create several rules for each Naming Replacement, but that means constantly ticking and unticking checkboxes and this becomes too cumbersome and tiring. Anyway, just a thought on how this great app could be improved.

I look forward to the new Select rule! Thanks for the heads up, this looks like it's exactly what I need. smile

Board footer