#1 2023-02-10 18:00

bchamberlin

Error 267 - Rename shortcut folder name

Hello all,

Long story short; I have a large number or shortcut links to folders in another location.  I am looking to remove the "link to" from each folder name.  I tried adding to ReNamer and there were no errors when they are listed in the queue however when I run the renaming, I get an "Error 267, directory name is invalid."

In more detail, I have all of my media in a folder (named "ALL") and then the shortcuts / links to the actual file in category folders.  (Christmas folder with shortcuts/links to the actual media folders in ALL".)  I have done that successfully however each shortcut now has "link to XXXXX" before each folder name.  (link to "Christmas Vacation" is "link to Christmas Vacation".) 

Does anyone have any assistance for successfully renaming the folders in mass rather than manually changing them?

Thank you all again for your assistance.

#2 2023-02-17 11:04

den4b
Administrator

Re: Error 267 - Rename shortcut folder name

Just to clarify, you get that error when you try to rename shortcut files which point to folders?

Using ReNamer 7.4 on Windows 10 to rename shortcut files works fine in our testing environment.

We'll need more details to investigate further:

1) Your Windows version.
2) Your ReNamer version.
3) Example file paths.
4) Renaming rules.

Perhaps you have some forbidden characters in the folder names or the shortcut names?

Can you try renaming the problematic items manually?

#3 2023-02-17 18:57

bchamberlin

Thank you. 

I am using Windows 10 and ReName version 7.4. 
I am trying to rename shortcut folders.  The original folder it is being linked to is "Test Folder".  When I create the link/shortcut, the folder is "link to Test Folder".  I am able to manually change it however have a lot and if possible would not like to have to do manually, hence, the software. 

Thank you again for your assistance.

mini_Error.pngmini_Filter.pngmini_PC.pngmini_ReName-Version.pngmini_Rule-and-Name.pngmini_Warning.png

#4 2023-02-17 19:41

jogiwer

It might be just the single blank in front of " Test Folder" which you didn't remove.
So you could just adjust your string to remove by adding a single blank at the end. Or - if you prefer - you could add another rule for "Clean Up".
Hope that helps.

#5 2023-02-17 22:54

den4b
Administrator

jogiwer wrote:

It might be just the single blank in front of " Test Folder" which you didn't remove.

Yes, it is a good idea to remove the leading white space. Although it doesn't cause any issues in a test setup.

bchamberlin wrote:

I am able to manually change it...

Does it work if you rename it manually via the File Explorer?

What's you file system? NTFS, FAT32, etc.

It is odd that your shortcut file is missing the *.lnk file extension. Are you sure this is a regular shortcut file? Maybe you are dealing with symbolic links or junction points.

Board footer