#1 2023-03-27 14:12

Sky62

Shutter doesn't read CPU load correctly

Hello everyone,

since I've got my new machine Shutter doesn't read the CPU-activity correctly.

I often use the rule to shut down the system if the CPU load falls below a certain value.

Now Shutter always displays a wrong load an the system is shut down at the wrong moment.

E.g. the PC is transcoding a video - the CPU-load is 60% (shown by windows task manager). But Shutter displays a load of 3% sad

My CPU is a Ryzen 7900X.

Is this a bug? Windows reads the correct load but shutter doesn't?

Thanks for any help or tips.

Tom

#2 2023-03-27 15:22

den4b
Administrator

Re: Shutter doesn't read CPU load correctly

The 60% usage reported by Windows Task Manager may be totally misleading in your case.

There are several different ways of measuring CPU usage/utilization, each producing a different measurement. In recent versions of Windows (8 or 10), Microsoft came up with an alternative metric that does not align with conventional measurements and it is not bound to 100%.

What usage does Process Explorer report in your case?

#3 2023-03-27 15:53

Sky62

Thank you for your reply.

Process Explorer also says 4 %.

But I just can't believe that encoding a video in full HD with H.265 only causes CPU load of 4 % ...

#4 2023-03-27 16:37

den4b
Administrator

Sky62 wrote:

But I just can't believe that encoding a video in full HD with H.265 only causes CPU load of 4 % ...

There are great many technical aspects at play here, so it is difficult to give you any concrete recommendations.

You may be able to improve CPU utilization (and hopefully improve the speed of encoding too) by tweaking encoding settings. Sometimes, disabling hyper-threading and/or limiting the number of threads to a fraction of your available cores may yield an overall improvement, because not all workloads can be scaled up efficiently. You may also be experiencing hardware bottlenecks, e.g. RAM, hard disk. Also look for guidance/hints on forums dedicated to video encoding.

Board footer