#1 2007-09-28 14:41

lee555J5

Main and sub-forums for each project

Greetings from Alabama, USA. I have used ReNamer 2-3 times now, and I have CPUMonBeta running on my desktop as I type this. Great programs! ReNamer easily beats other pay-for programs in speed and capability!

It's your site and your forum, so you can do what you please. However, I have a suggestion.

I came to the site to report a bug (maybe) after 2-3 days of using CPUMonBeta (14 Aug 2007). I immediately noticed that it could be easier to check for bugs or suggestions already posted or search for help if the forums were organized with a main forum for each project and 'Help and Support', 'Suggestions', and 'Bugs' sub-forums under each project main forum. I've never run a forum myself, so I don't know what the capabilities are. Just a suggestion...

Lee

#2 2007-10-05 12:07

den4b
Administrator

Re: Main and sub-forums for each project

Thanks, Lee! I am glad that you like my programs smile

I had that idea in my mind before - to split forums into categories, one per program. But these forums are not massively huge, and don't have that many posts, so splitting them even further might make it look empty. But the most important reason why I didn't do that is because it will make it harder for me to manage it.... from moderator point of view.

Search facility is very powerful (providing it is used correctly), so I don't think splitting of forums is required.

#3 2007-10-05 14:42

lee555J5

I completely understand the management issues, and after all, this is your forum. Just tossing ideas.

[rant]

Search facility is very powerful (providing it is used correctly)

I am not concerned at all with my ability to search. I was speaking of minimizing the negative impact of moron posters who misspell words, especially those on which others might try to search, and those that use the following examples of subject lines: "HELP!!!", "URGENT NEED!!", "Possible bug", or some other general, non-descriptive one to three-word subject. If people would start with the name of the program and add something mildly descriptive, life would be better in all forums. In a forum this size, you wouldn't even need to search!

Excellent treatise on forum posting: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Just my frustrated 2 cents. wink

[/rant]

OTOH, your message response time and program revision time is phenomenal. You give new meaning to "active" projects. Keep up the good work.

Lee

#4 2007-10-06 11:45

den4b
Administrator

lee555J5 wrote:

"HELP!!!", "URGENT NEED!!", "Possible bug"

Hehee big_smile ... I hate that tooo!!!!

Sometimes I do change the name of the topic to a more appropriate one.... If you care about going thought some topics, finding those which need to be changed, and posting them here with the suggested new name - I will change them asap!

P.S. My response time is decreasing these days, because I've started a new (VERY COOL) job, but takes 95% of my life time.... sad

Board footer