#1 2007-10-27 23:41

Stefan

Take an other sign as extension separator

I want to suggest a new option
"Take the position where the first  [ - ]  sign occurs from  [ Start]   as file name/ extension separator"

Right now and the default is
"Take the position where the first  [ . ]  sign occurs from  [  End]   as file name/ extension separator"
i.e the first dot from right is the separator for name/ext as the windows standard is.

If you could implement this feature we could take an defined part of the name as file name only
and executes rules on this part only.

An familiar use of this is (not only) the case modification of music files:

1) my artist - his new song.mp5
2) take first - (minus) from Start as separator
3) First letter capital (don't skip ext)
4) my artist - His new song.mp5
5) Capitalize Every Word ([x] skip ext)
6) My Artist - His new song.mp5
7) take first . (dot) from End as separator

OK, i suggest now this should be implemented as new rule so we can switch it on and off several times in an renaming action.

This would be niftier then always modify an pascal script http://www.den4b.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=52 roll

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#2 2007-11-03 22:19

den4b
Administrator

Re: Take an other sign as extension separator

I understand your problem, but the solution which you propose is rather unusual... and will not solve the real problem, i.e. applying rules to some part of the name. I think this will require some other method at a later stage, because "rule-base change of extension character" does sound a bit bizarre. Sorry, have to say "no" to this one...

I am afraid you will need to use pascal script for now. If you do have some problems writing scripts, tell me, and I will try to help you with them.

#3 2007-11-03 23:16

Stefan

Re: Take an other sign as extension separator

den4b wrote:

I understand your problem, but the solution which you propose is rather unusual...

But it works smile

I just tried to make it easy (without RegEx or PScript)
and this tricks works for several years within an other renamer.

and will not solve the real problem, i.e. applying rules to some part of the name.
I think this will require some other method at a later stage,
because "rule-base change of extension character" does sound a bit bizarre.

That would be much better of course tongue
i.e some word delimiters like space, coma, minus sign and so on
and then  treat this as independent parts
and ably rules on this parts or move this parts around (or delete them or what ever)

Sorry, have to say "no" to this one...

No no, it's OK. I make suggestions only and you can decide which you wanna take tongue

Now i found my own solution for this issue (but first now, sorry):

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=787.0;attach=23357;image

Rule 1 and 2 is to prepare the file name to move the name/ext separator (This could be shortened to ONE rule only)
Rule 3 and 4 do the renaming (on the whole name first, then on the leading part only)
Rule 5 and 6 remove the separator again and make the file name valid again. (This could be shortened to ONE rule only)

I am afraid you will need to use pascal script for now.
If you do have some problems writing scripts, tell me, and I will try to help you with them.

Thank you very much Denis.

Last edited by Stefan (2007-11-04 11:51)

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

Board footer