#1 2007-10-27 06:00

Fathom

Save/load renamer settings with preset?

Is there a current way to save or associate specific ReNamer settings (ReNamer.ini) with specific presets so when a preset is loaded so are the settings ("filter settings" for example) unique to the successful operation of that preset?

Currently I use batch files to initiate ReNamer with specific preset/settings, for example...

::  backup ReNamer.ini
copy /y "C:\Program Files\ReNamer\ReNamer.ini" "C:\Program Files\ReNamer\ReNamer(default).ini"

::  replace ReNamer.ini with one specific to MyRules preset
copy /y "C:\Program Files\ReNamer\ReNamer(MyRules).ini" "C:\Program Files\ReNamer\ReNamer.ini"

::  start ReNamer with MyRules preset
"C:\Program Files\ReNamer\ReNamer.exe" /preset "C:\Program Files\ReNamer\Presets\MyRules.rnp"

::  restore default ReNamer.ini when ReNamer is closed
copy /y "C:\Program Files\ReNamer\ReNamer(default).ini" "C:\Program Files\ReNamer\ReNamer.ini"

It would be better if preset and settings could be linked, that way ReNamer would not have to be closed between presets to use this method and I have not yet looked at implementing this method with Windows "Send To:" which I like to use.

It is not something that comes up very often, just wondering
Fathom

#2 2007-10-27 06:56

Fathom

Re: Save/load renamer settings with preset?

darn, I thought I had searched the forum for this issue. 
I notice there is a related thread, Renamer: Switching between files/folder mode

My problem with switching settings is not so much the time it takes, as remembering to do so and what settings to change.  Sometimes I absolutely need "Natural Sort", or it could just slow renaming.  Whether folder names should be renamed has been an issue.

Initialization files tend to such small files (smaller than any of my presets) it would not seem to inappropriate to have an initialization file with the same name as the preset "managed" with the preset.

But this seems like it could be quite a modification to how things are currently done, I can use the batch files.  It has just been a concern for some time now.  I have not posted before because you keep coming up with such good new innovations I hate to distract you with something that may effect only a few people,
Fathom

#3 2007-11-03 22:11

den4b
Administrator

It does seem like a rather big modification. These settings affect the program's workflow in many ways, and loading these settings dynamically might be a problem. Filter settings might later be saved together with the presets, as already discussed in several topics, but I don't think this will ever be the case for the general settings.

You can try creating several copies of ReNamer.exe, for example: ReNamer-NatSort.exe, ReNamer-Default.exe, etc. Each one of them will be using a separate INI file which matches its base name, e.g. ReNamer-NatSort.ini, ReNamer-Default.ini, etc.

In this way you won't need a batch file to change INI file. I hope this helps...

#4 2007-11-04 11:29

Fathom

Just filter settings would do the job for me.  big_smile
They are what get me in big trouble. 

Thanks for the consideration.

Board footer