#1 2006-05-11 07:50

LawOfNonContradiction

Multifile selection & output

Currently my use for a hashing program as opposed to SFV or PAR2 is for ironically both the less technically inclined and the ultra inclined.  In both cases I post/share the filesize, and only in the latter MD5, and SHA-1.  In the prior case it requires no "confusing" installs, and in the latter leaves them to their respective preference.

{now on to the suggestion}

I'd like to be able to select multiple files and have a choice of three output options: 

(1) stored on clipboard:
filename
size in bytes
md5
sha-1
[carriage return]
[[repeat for multiple]]

(2) the above stored to one text file

(3) number 1, but one text file for each hashed file

Currently I use verifier's Hash Calculator [1], but it's annoying to process half a dozen files.  There's no option to either queue files, or batch process. sad

verifierss69bk.png

on the upside I think you're clipboard compare feature is really cool!  ... but why the option to export the icon to bmp?

hasher4nx.png

[1] http://www.classless.net/projects/verifier/

It's just a though or two cool

#2 2006-05-12 15:46

den4b
Administrator

Re: Multifile selection & output

Law of NonContradiction wrote:

It's just a though or two cool

I would say it is a very big thought tongue  Actually, it sound more like a proposal for a new project..

Hasher wasn't meant to do batch file processing and/or saving results in the file. It was more like a simple and light tool for verifying the correctness of the stuff that you download from the internet (or something like that). In the matter of fact, Hasher was never really meant to be a project, it simply appeared because of the breakdown of its parent, bigger and far more complicated project called BackUp. BackUp had loooooads of different options and functionality, including the one that you have described (processing files in a batch using multi-threaded techniques, and saving results in a text file). It was far too complex, and at that time I was a bit un-experienced for that sort of project, so I decided to abandon it, since loads of stuff could have been done better.

Where was I ?.. Oh ye, Hasher.. I didn't want to through out that huge amount of work that was done for BackUp tool, so I removed all the complicated functionality (which was about 90% of the project yikes ), and I made Hasher! Now, to the point.. whatever you are asking requires a lot of work, and it is also an entirely new application with completely different interface! And I simply don't have time to do that, hope you understand smile

There must be already thousands tools for that job wink  Search the net, I'm sure you'll find something...

#3 2006-05-12 17:33

den4b
Administrator

Law of NonContradiction wrote:

...but why the option to export the icon to bmp?

Sometimes, you simply want to extract an Icon from a file, and since it was a simply trick (thanks to the power of Delphi), I've added a small option to save an Icon as BMP file smile

#4 2006-05-17 12:48

den4b
Administrator

I was thinking about your thoughts... and an interesting idea came into my head :yes:

How about writing the results of Hasher to a log file, so any file that you drag/add to Hasher will be written to a log file with its Hash. And then, why not let Hasher process multiple files, one after another, in a queue? You'll be able to drop all of your files to Hasher, and it will process them one-by-one, and put filenames and their hashes to a log file.

I've just implemented that big_smile
Try it, and tell me what you think...

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~den4b/Projects/Hasher/HasherBeta.zip

EDIT:
Forgot to say that you have to tick a "Write results to log file" option in the Settings.
Log file will be created in the same folder as "Hasher.exe", and it will be called "Hasher.log".

Board footer