#1 2008-06-25 22:51

sailorfej

Maximum number of file in one batch, and time to process

Hi Denis,

I need to strip special characters from a very large number of files (approximately 20GB worth, roughly 70,000 files), has renamer ever been tested with this many files? and does anyone know about how long it might take on a 2Gh dual core, with 2GB of RAM?

Thanks,
Jeff

#2 2008-06-26 14:38

eR@SeR

Re: Maximum number of file in one batch, and time to process

Hi sailorfej

Well, I didn't have renamed more than ~200 files at once. Just to make your renaming easier uncheck in settings/preview/validate new filenames on preview. You have an explanation about it.

I cannot give you answer about your question but I think that this will help wink

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#3 2008-06-26 14:47

krtek

Disable "Autopreview on change of rules configurations" as well, and click preview manually after all your rules are already in the rules table, and already checked on some sample data. And after preview is done (what will take some time, but I have no idea how much) export "filenames and undo paths" to txt or csv file. You can also export "file paths and new names" just as a second backup. Renamer has an Undo option and it works, but I think that with that bunch of files you'll be about to take all possible protective measures... And then press Rename...

And tell as how it goes, and how much time it takes big_smile

Edited:
There is a limit for max number of files... 2,147,483,647 tongue
Check that topic for a bit more of information:
http://www.den4b.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=103

Last edited by krtek (2008-06-26 14:56)

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#4 2008-06-26 16:12

Andrew

sailorfej wrote:

I need to strip special characters from a very large number of files (approximately 20GB worth, roughly 70,000 files)

Woah! yikes Dude, if you do go for it (no reason why not!), do post back here re. how long it took, how much RAM etc. (Basically, you'll have to be the guinea pig and provide us with the very same data you asked for! wink)

#5 2008-06-26 17:45

den4b
Administrator

I decided to run a quick test...

I created 10'000 empty files, in one folder. Named: "abcde000001", "abcde000002", "abcde000003", etc. As others already mentioned, I had to turn off all "Preview" options from the Settings: "Auto preview on change of rules", "Auto preview when new files are added", "Validate new filenames on preview", "Real-time update of the preview". This DRAMATICALLY speeds up the processing of large number of files!

1) ReNamer started: memory usage 7Mb;
2) Add 10'000 files: took 5-10 seconds, memory usage 10Mb;
3) Preview with Strip "abcde" rule: took 1 second, memory usage 11Mb;
4) Rename: took 40 seconds, memory usage gone up to 14Mb and dropped to 12Mb when finished.

NOTE: When you disable validation, if some files happen to conflict - you will know about it only when they fail to rename.

It would be a good idea to test the rules first on small number of files, with validation turned on. Also, I would recommend exporting your files and their new names before doing a rename (as described by krtek), just in case something does go wrong.

By the way, I tested it on a laptop with Intel Core 2 Solo T5600 1.83GHz and a very slow hard disk!

Board footer