#1 2006-10-05 12:07

pdv

Run as Service

Hello Denis,

we use your great Software in our computerlab (shut down XP-pro-systems after too long time of inactivity).

Is there a way to install shutter as a service, because some of our users do not log on or just close there session and shutter cannot power off.

Regards, Heribert

#2 2006-10-05 12:52

den4b
Administrator

Re: Run as Service

Hi Heribert!

There is no automatic way to make Shutter run as service from within Shutter it-self. This is because service applications are different from normal user applications (from programming point of view) and would have to be written differently. BUT, this doesn't mean that there cannot be any workaround wink

There are tools exist that can run any application as a service, here is a freeware one - Any2Service.zip (made by SystemNT).

I tried it in the past, and it did work! I'm not sure how it will behave with User Inactivity event, I think you MUST allow that service to interact with the desktop, there is an option for that in the service properties (in Log On tab). Try it first on a test machine, before putting it into action. And don't forget to tell us how it went, ok?

P.S. good to know that some people actually do care about saving energy, like i do smile

Good luck,
Denis.

#3 2006-10-06 12:55

pdv

Hi Denis,

now I got it and everything works fine with Any2Service and Shutter (User inactive):
You must NOT(!) allow the service to interact with the desktop.
If you do allow interaction, shutter will close after a user logs off, leaving the system running.

Many thanks for your help
Heribert

#4 2006-10-18 07:38

chrisho30

Hi Denis,

I installed Any2Service to let Shutter run as service and set Shutter Shutdown my PC if "user inactive" for 5 minutes (in test environment to make suer it works before apply solution to our office users).  During that 5 minutes, no matter I move the mouse, click hyperlink, open software, typing a word document.  After 5 minutes later, Shutter shutdown my PC.  I checked waited for counter running, Inactive for counter keep 0:00:00. 

If I don't run Shutter as service, it will not have the above problem.  So, I believe the problem only happen if Shutter run as service.  I tried Shutter old version and latest one (version 2.8).

I cannot run Shutter as standalone problem and hidden it because some of our user manual close it at Task Manager.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by chrisho30 (2006-10-18 07:39)

#5 2006-10-18 18:17

den4b
Administrator

Chris, I thought it worked fine for PDV, as it his post says... Unfortunately I'm very busy these days, and can't check that issue properly.

You could run Shutter as normal program, but simply limit Users' abilities and forbid opening Task Manager. How that sounds to you?

Board footer