#1 2007-01-21 13:07

Melker63

Two update-suggestions

Hi! (Ralf, Sweden)

Nice timesaving tool. smile I have two small suggestions for ReNamer though:

1: Under Add Rule/Serialize: Please make it checkbox-optional if one only want added serializing on otherwise identical New Name-outcomes, or not. For example:

SR_P1_GMV_070121115827 ---------> Gmv 0701211
SR_P1_GMV_070121120527 ---------> Gmv 0701212
SR_P1_pengar_070119114939 ------>  Pengar 0701193
SR_P1_spanarna_070119040023 ----> Spanarna 0701194

The first six numbers are dates obviously, and the last seventh number for serializing. But I optionally only want serializing on those New Name-outcomes that otherwise becomes identical (the two Gmv-files in above example). Not the rest.

Also using alphabet for serialising could be another new option.

2: Under Settings: Add 'Default folder' [user-input]. I always use one folder only, but currently I have to rightclick an add it each and every time.

--------------------------- Edited:

Come to think of it - I would like to add a third suggestion also:

3: Under Settings: Add "Auto-move Renamed Files To" [user-input]. That would save time. My Podcast-client put each downloaded indevidual mp3-file in its own folder, and I currently have to move each of them manually to my main download-folder. This could be done automatically by ReNamer.

Last edited by Melker63 (2007-01-21 14:30)

#2 2007-01-21 18:00

den4b
Administrator

Re: Two update-suggestions

Hi Ralf!

1) Add PacalScript rule as the last rule for your files, and load a script called "Serialize duplicates" (from scripts menu). I believe it will accomplish your task.

2) 'Default folder' for what? If you want to add that folder to ReNamer quicker, you can create a Shortcut which launches ReNamer and adds your folder automatically. Command line will look like this: "C:\Program Files\ReNamer\ReNamer.exe" "C:\My Folder". For detailed list of parameters, have a look at this topic: scheduled task with renamer.

3) If you want to move your files to some particular folder, use Insert rule to prefix the folder path to all of your files. You can specify full and relative paths in the New Name field. Try prefixing few files with something like this: "C:\Move All To This Folder\" - and you'll see the result.

#3 2007-01-21 19:24

Melker63

Quote: "1) Add PacalScript rule as the last rule for your files, and load a script called "Serialize duplicates" (from scripts menu). I believe it will accomplish your task."

Edited: OK, I did just that and it seemes to do the trick - at first. But unfortunately I now got two files: 'Gmv 070121' and 'Gmv 070121.mp3 (2)' and the latter one does not work anymore. Windows Media Player doesnt recognize it.

Quote: "2) 'Default folder' for what? If you want to add that folder to ReNamer quicker,"

So you understood what I meant after all? Good.

Quote: "... you can create a Shortcut which launches ReNamer and adds your folder automatically. Command line will look like this: "C:\Program Files\ReNamer\ReNamer.exe" "C:\My Folder". For detailed list of parameters, have a look at this topic: scheduled task with renamer.

That didnt work for me - even after I changed filepath to 'C:\Nedtank\Nimiq Convert' there my podcast-files are stored - each of them in its own folder within the Nimiq convert-folder. All I get is two files: 'Nimiq' and 'Convert'. Please, understand that not all users are command-line script-geeks. An added Default folder-option would go a long way for the rest of us. Most shareware that works with files within folders have them. Its common design-practice.

Quote: "3) If you want to move your files to some particular folder, use Insert rule to prefix the folder path to all of your files. You can specify full and relative paths in the New Name field. Try prefixing few files with something like this: "C:\Move All To This Folder\" - and you'll see the result.

I dont think you understand that much about software 'userfriendliness', mister. No offence. wink Thanks for answering anyway.

Last edited by Melker63 (2007-01-21 19:55)

#4 2007-01-21 20:54

den4b
Administrator

1) Sorry, I completely forgot to tell that the script had this small error in the latest release - it added serialization after the extension. I fixed it a long time ago, in the latest development version, but haven't released it yet. Please, download the latest dev version from here: ReNamerBeta.zip. The reason why Windows Media Player does not recognize the files is because their extension has been changed from valid ".mp3", to invalid ".mp3 (2)". The script meant to insert "(2)" before extension, e.g.: "Gmv 070121 (2).mp3" - that is the exact problem which has been fixed. To fix the extension, simply remove the "(2)" part from the extension. Sorry about that, but you could have noticed the strange new names, before renaming them.

2) Mister, you forgot the inverted commas (") around the path of your folder. Windows breaks command line parameters by spaces! Thus breaking your "C:\Nedtank\Nimiq Convert" into two separate files "C:\Nedtank\Nimiq" and "Convert". Thats exactly why it did not work. Recall the line that I put in the previous post, and note the inverted commas: "C:\Program Files\ReNamer\ReNamer.exe" "C:\My Folder"   <--- thats how command line should look like!

3) It hardly could get any easier then Inserting the desired path into the New Name. There is a difference between "simplicity of doing this" and "not understanding what has to be done, thus deeming it to be hard".

Example, what you have in the table:

Name:                                           New Name:
SR_P1_GMV_070121115827.mp3      Gmv 070121.mp3

Example, what you need to have:

Name:                                           New Name:
SR_P1_GMV_070121115827.mp3      C:\My New Folder\Gmv 070121.mp3

#5 2007-01-22 17:43

Melker63

Quote: "1) I fixed it a long time ago, in the latest development version, but haven't released it yet."

I wait for the release-version.

Quote: "2) Mister, you forgot the inverted commas"

Hmm - instant karma. I think I shall stop calling you mister. But thanks - it works now.

Quote: "3) "There is a difference between "simplicity of doing this" and "not understanding what has to be done, thus deeming it to be hard".

So true. I didnt get it at first - I admit.  But now its crystalclear. smile

#6 2007-01-22 21:17

den4b
Administrator

Glad that we sorted these out, you got me worried there for a moment... wink

By the way, do not be misled by the "Beta" suffix, it usually as stable as the normal version. It only identifies the latest development version, and does not mean that it is full of bugs. Once I made significant amount of changes to it, I release it. Next version should be released by the end of this month!

Board footer