#1 2007-01-24 19:10

fjord

Count of selected and marked in status line

Hi Denis

How about showing the number of files marked and the number selected in the status line? This would save having to use ctrl-I or right click Count marked and selected (which also requires an extra OK click. It could be positioned on the right side of the status line, to keep the line uncluttered.

#2 2007-01-24 22:32

den4b
Administrator

Re: Count of selected and marked in status line

Hi fjord smile

That is exactly how I wanted to do it, initially: Show amount of marked and selected files in the status bar. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as it may sound. At the moment, its done in an easy way: Count marked and selected files when user asks to do so. This operation will check every file in the table, and count those which are marked and those which are selected.

Here is a problem now. Files can be marked and selected by many different events/actions, for example: mouse clicks, several different shortcut keys, several selection/marking procedures, etc. If it is to be done dynamically, I will have to capture every possible event which might potentially change the marking or selection, including all of the relevant procedures, and also must not forget that any other marking or/and selection procedures which may be developed in future - must have that triggering code in them. Anyway, in few words - it is MUCH better/easier/fail-safe/efficient to count marked and selected files when user asks for it.

Huh... Does that make sense?

#3 2007-01-25 05:23

fjord

I understand the problem. Could you display the counts on the status line when the count function (ctrl-I) is invoked, and leave it displayed there until the next operation that might change the counts? That would allow me to continue to see the counts while I work on editing a rule, for example.

#4 2007-01-26 22:19

den4b
Administrator

#5 2007-01-28 12:54

fjord

That's great. smile

The counts disappear if files are added or removed, but not if file selection or marking is changed. That's OK. Ás a refinement some day, could you also clear the counts from the status line if the user clicks (select/unselect) or marks a file? Of course there are other ways the counts could change, but this is the most most obvious/frequent way.

#6 2007-01-29 04:06

den4b
Administrator

Board footer