#1 2015-02-03 04:32

LEDAdd1ct

Suggestions: Wake Computer and Wake Monitor

Hello!

I have two suggestions for new Events/Actions:

1)  "Wake Computer From Sleep/Standby"

This would allow Shutter to wake the computer from sleep/bring the computer out of standby.

2)  "Wake Monitor"

There is already an action/event called "Turn Off Monitor."

It would be great if there was another event called "Wake Monitor." 

These two little extra options would be extremely helpful, as it would allow Shutter to bring the computer out of standby and wake the monitor, useful for digital signage applications, educational environments, warehouses, etc...

I use Shutter as a personal alarm clock to play an MP3 in the morning to wake me up, and the speakers are powered through the monitor.  Right now, I need to leave the computer on and the monitor on, as the speakers are powered through the monitor.

If Shutter could bring the computer out of sleep/standby and wake the monitor, it would vastly increase its utility as it would now be possible to use the program in an extremely energy conscious fashion.

While my own purpose is to serve as an alarm clock, there are countless other applications that would benefit from pulling the computer out of sleep/standby and doing the same with the monitor.

Last edited by LEDAdd1ct (2015-02-04 04:12)

#2 2015-02-05 21:52

den4b
Administrator

Re: Suggestions: Wake Computer and Wake Monitor

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions!

It looks like they will be useful additions. They will be reviewed and considered for future implementation.

#3 2015-02-05 23:07

den4b
Administrator

"Turn On" option was added to the Monitor action in Shutter v3.6.3 Beta.

You can try it in the latest development version.

#4 2015-02-07 21:05

LEDAdd1ct

Excellent!

I look forward to the version utilizing "Wake Timers" that can bring the computer out of standby.

Thank you!

#5 2015-02-07 21:56

den4b
Administrator

In regards to the Wake Up feature. Can you think of use cases for this feature, in terms of whether this should be an event or action, waitable or not, which actions and events it can be combined with, etc?

Your feedback will help shape up this feature.

#6 2015-02-07 22:10

LEDAdd1ct

I am happy to help and I think a developer who actively seeks out support from the community of users is nothing short of outstanding.

Event vs. Action

I think it should be both!  There are many times when you may want something to happen conditionally as an event, i.e.:

As An Event

-when the computer wakes up, run this program
-when the computer wakes up, log into email
-when the computer wakes up, open a web browser
-when the computer wakes up, execute a batch file
-when the computer wakes up, play a music file (.WAV, .MP3, .FLV, etc.)
-when the computer wakes up, synchronize the computer's clock with an atomic time server

As An Action

-when the computer's clock is time t wake up the computer
-when the countdown timer reaches zero, wake up the computer
-if the computer loses its IP address, wake up the computer (many new NICs can retain their IP address during sleep

I need to think up some additional features but will post them here once I do.  :-)

Board footer