#1 2016-03-11 03:02

B00ze

Tags in iTunes mp4 files

Good day.

Any hope of ReNamer supporting tags inside iTunes m4a files (or any other mp4 music file for that matter)?

Thank you.
Best Regards,

#2 2016-03-11 11:34

den4b
Administrator

Re: Tags in iTunes mp4 files

Yes, there is hope.

There is an MP4 Tag Library which can be integrated into ReNamer to provide access to MP4 and M4A meta tags, but it requires the use of a newer compiler. The migration to a newer compiler is planned for later this year, so once this is done then MP4 Tag Library could be integrated.

Until then, you can use some command line tools to extract MP4 and M4A meta tags and integrate it into ReNamer via PascalScript rule, like it is demonstrated here: http://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer:Scripts:Exiv2

#3 2016-03-12 01:41

B00ze

Good day.

That library is commercial, you'll have to buy a license, but it's super cheap (EUR50 once). I hope you go for it, I use AAC and FLAC exclusively and one of the features I like with your reNamer is the ability to do tags (I use Oscar's for most of my renaming, but if I ever want to batch rename lots of music or lots of pics, I would go for reNamer). I figured I could call an external tool for the m4a tags, because you have links in your manual to the forum about this, which I followed, but it's a bit of an effort; it can wait.

You have a good tool here by the way, the "multiple steps" approach is the right way to go, plus you have a forum :-) Your PDF manual could use bookmarks however...

Finally, while I was testing reNamer, never renaming anything, just seeing how it worked, I managed to crash it 3 times simply by clicking in empty space in the rules section of the window. I can't reproduce easily tho, so I can't give you a list of steps to make it crash; I was just loading some files, then clicking the middle of the rules window and it would crash. I do have 3 user-mode dumps, if you are interested.

Best Regards,

#4 2016-03-14 11:25

den4b
Administrator

Your PDF manual could use bookmarks however...

The PDF is generated automatically from the Wiki: Book:ReNamer_User_Manual. The PDF generator is not really configurable. However, you can browse, search, bookmark and do a lot more directly with the Wiki pages. Also, Wiki is usually more up-to-date.

I managed to crash it 3 times simply by clicking in empty space in the rules section of the window.

If you'll ever figure out the steps to reproduce it, please report them on forum (in a new topic) or send by email, including description of your environment, versions, etc.

I do have 3 user-mode dumps, if you are interested.

Please upload the dump files to any file upload service and post links here.

#5 2016-03-20 19:23

B00ze

Good morning.

I get the following error when I try to post links to the memory dumps: You are not allowed to post links.

If you'll ever figure out the steps to reproduce it, please report them on forum (in a new topic) or send by email, including description of your environment, versions, etc.

Unfortunately, I tried just now to reproduce and I can't get it to crash. I was just fooling around the UI, trying to understand how file selection worked. I /think/ I had a rename rule already there at the top, but not sure. The only think I know for sure is that it crashed all 3 times when I clicked in the top portion (where the rules are).

#6 2016-03-20 22:09

den4b
Administrator

B00ze wrote:

I get the following error when I try to post links to the memory dumps: You are not allowed to post links.

That is an anti-spam policy kicking in, which requires some minimum number of posts before user is allowed to post links.

You can malform the URLs (e.g. write h**p:// instead of http://), or send the links by email.

#7 2016-03-22 03:17

B00ze

Ah yes, I should've thought of that. Here we go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mln9e3i0l292n … 4.dmp?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qluvxfdsjecar … 2.dmp?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1p7hcwkx3v782 … 4.dmp?dl=1

Hopefully all 3 point to the same place, making them useful.

Best Regards,

#8 2016-03-23 01:03

den4b
Administrator

B00ze wrote:

Hopefully all 3 point to the same place, making them useful.

Which version of ReNamer did you use?

If you manage to reproduce it again, try to capture the text report generated by Windows and the steps you took of course.

Last edited by den4b (2016-03-23 01:43)

#9 2016-03-24 01:51

B00ze

Good day. Version 6.4, the latest. I tried several times to reproduce but I have been unable to. It might've crashed when I double-clicked the rules window, rather than just single-click. I had a rule there, maybe a RegExp. I tried and tried to make it crash again and I can't, lol - It's kinda good news tho :-) Best Regards,

Board footer