#1 2021-01-07 15:44

amadeogarcia

ReNamer not showing EXIF date even if available

I am currently in the process of renaming a bunch of photos according to their 'Taken Date', which I understand is the same as the 'Date/Time Original', which is the date the :EXIF_Date: meta-tag refers to.

Now, in most cases it works, as shown here:

mWit5Bd.jpg

However, in other cases, the EXIF Date doesn't show in ReNamer, even if the Taken Date exists and is visible in Windows Explorer. Here is an example:

k13qwL2.jpg

But as I said earlier, the meta-tag :EXIF_Date: refers to 'Date/Time Original', and maybe that's a different date than 'Taken'? So I downloaded Exiftool GUI to check and they are, indeed, the same date.

XZarANM.jpg

In conclusion, why is it that sometimes it shows perfectly fine the EXIF Date but sometimes it doesn't?

#2 2021-01-10 14:36

den4b
Administrator

Re: ReNamer not showing EXIF date even if available

There are many potential places and formats in which the Date Taken can be extracted from. EXIF is just one such place.

I can see from your screenshot that the DateTimeOriginal is showing in the "Custom" output tab in the Exiftool GUI tool, instead of the normal "Exif" tab, so I presume that the date was not extracted from the conventional Exif meta data.

If you can, please provide a sample image. You can send it by email, if it is sensitive.

Board footer