#1 2007-08-25 13:39

Nick222

Better visualisation: font size and partial highlight

Hello smile

IMHO, it may be better GUI Renamer working:

1) Let user can modify font size in list of files.

2) Let highlight not whole filename - but only difference symbols in list of old-new files.

How you think it?

#2 2007-08-26 16:38

den4b
Administrator

Re: Better visualisation: font size and partial highlight

I've already answered your questions over the email.

And now after I've answered them, why do you post the same questions here?

#3 2007-08-26 17:15

Nick222

I think this forum not only for conversation with author - but also for discussion between users - and I want to learn another user`s needs and opinions.

#4 2007-08-26 17:22

den4b
Administrator

Ok, we'll see what others think of it... smile

#5 2007-09-24 19:54

ozzii

I will say why not for the 2)

#6 2007-09-27 01:18

den4b
Administrator

I've explained to Nick why I don't think that "highlight only changed part" option is worth implementing. I better state it here, for the future reference.

First of all, this task is not as easy as it seems - to detect which part of the filename has actually changed and which has stayed the same.

For example, easy case:
Name: abcd.txt   New Name: abcde.txt   <- just compare one letter by one...

Now, 1 out of millions of harder cases:
Name: abcd.txt   New Name: kebab or cd-case.txt   <- how do you know those parts are actually original??

There is an alternative for this comparing process. Redesign entire renaming process, and make each rule keep track of the changes it made, which is a combination of the previous problem and other issues....

Also, partial highlighting will mean changing/rewriting the component which is used for the files table, to support partially highlighted text. Which is a hell of a task, because A LOT of things are bounded to and dependant on that table.

My guess is that this feature simply doesn't worth the time spent implementing it, i.e.: the "effort required" is much-much greater than the "advantage of having this feature".

So it will probably not going to happen, sorry.

#7 2007-09-30 06:32

LawOfNonContradiction

den4b wrote:

a hell of a task

oh, you're not thinking on a grand enough scale for hellish.  [sarcasm] A much more exciting implementation would be to assign each rule a color to display in the preview column.  Then when a user clicks a rule the changed items will have red rectangle outlines blink around each changed element.  Naturally the original color must have a higher contrast color shift.  Now... scripting must be expressed  also.. perhaps italicized or a different font?  But wait!  There's more!  Each color in the preview is "clickable" for toggleset-rules.. a feature you'll also need to implement.  Say you were sure if you liked rule4 this-way or that-way.  Highlight all the rule variations and click the yet-to-be-implemented toggleset button to 'group' rules.  OK back to the preview pane: those color areas expressing a toggleset will have a drop down of each rule -- oh oh with a flyout showing each alternative implementation if you only hover over that area [/sarcasm]

big_smile

Last edited by LawOfNonContradiction (2007-09-30 06:32)

#8 2007-10-05 12:15

den4b
Administrator

LawOfNonContradiction is PURE EVIL !!!  roll

#9 2007-10-15 22:09

den4b
Administrator

Just for the future reference, I want to put a note regarding changes to the "font size" of the application.

Few users have already asked me if it would be possible to increase the font in the application. Unfortunately, I had to say "no" to them. Let me explain...

ReNamer has loads and loads of features (most of which an ordinary user would probably never use or even know about), and all these features are represented or/and accessed or/and displayed via some graphical controls/components. The problem is that all these components, their positioning and size - all depend on the font size, so increasing the font size may create many user interface problems, e.g. controls overlapping, trimming, shifting, etc.

It is not incredibly difficult to change the font of an application, but I cannot support different font sizes, as it may make application very "clumsy".

#10 2007-10-16 03:51

Nick222

May be roll

But can I view not full list of added files - but only changed ones (file list after "Preview")?

Board footer