#1 2008-04-25 19:37

krtek

Disabling skip extention for folders

Hi Dennis,
I almost posted a bug today, silly me, when a translit rule failed on list of folders but not on files. The reason was that folder names started from "001. " "002. "... And skip extention was ticked in translit rule (by default)...

And now suggestion. Is there any possibility to add option to disable effect of "skip extention" for folders?
It has two good sides:
1. it's less confusing, as you don't normally think that folders have extentions (as in my example with translit)
2. if you want to process files and folders in one renaming operation it starts to be important (and almost always you want the "skip extention" to work only for files in that case).

Hopefully it's not the option that is not irreplaceable. You can always first rename files, and then folders.

It would be also nice if ReNamer kept track of folder names changes during renaming operation (so it could rename file inside a folder even after renaming that folder - of course only if they were renamed in one renaming operation). Now the only way to rename files & folders in on step is to place files first, then folders, then root folders and so on.
But this probably would need rewriting whole app. So, treat is just as digression wink

All the very best to you.

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#2 2008-04-25 19:56

eR@SeR

Re: Disabling skip extention for folders

It would be also nice if ReNamer kept track of folder names changes during renaming operation (so it could rename file inside a folder even after renaming that folder - of course only if they were renamed in one renaming operation). Now the only way to rename files & folders in on step is to place files first, then folders, then root folders and so on.

I also wanted to suggest that behaviour, but you obviated me wink

Greeting...

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#3 2008-05-20 13:41

den4b
Administrator

Re: Disabling skip extention for folders

Is there any possibility to add option to disable effect of "skip extension" for folders?

There is a possibility, but just a possibility! I was thinking about this option for a while, but didn't find a nice and neat way of handling this, yet. It seems that the only way for now is just to check whether renamed item is a file or folder in every place where extension option is used, which isn't great. This option is on the "To Do" list, for consideration.

It would be also nice if ReNamer kept track of folder names changes during renaming operation

This is a definite "No". I COULD implement this option, but this would slow down processing and renaming of files. This would go as far as integrating ReNamer into the shell, and making all files/folders in the list shell items and listening for the "change" events. This is a bit too much. There is another way, simply check entire list of files/folders with every renamed file/folder, to see if update happened - and that will be A LOT slower. Nonetheless, I will put this for later consideration, because I also think that this would be really cool.

Board footer