#1 2008-06-18 13:31

Hesei

Missing rules and files toolbars along with rules area

Here's a shot of the main window I get along with the blank dialog I receive when I try to open ANY (including settings).
I can still rename according to loaded presets and renaming with a right click or F6.
I've tried reinstalling, but I just keep getting the same thing.  On XP Pro SP3, but have never had any problems until now.

Any ideas?

Help.jpg

#2 2008-06-18 16:11

Andrew

Re: Missing rules and files toolbars along with rules area

Have you tried the stand-alone/portable/ZIP version yet? Does that exhibit similar behavior? What about the latest Beta version?

Hesei wrote:

On XP Pro SP3, but have never had any problems until now.

Then try and trace back your recent actions. Have you installed any software after which this started? Did it happen after you installed SP3? If it was OK earlier and isn't now, then obviously something that conflicts with the app has been installed recently. One more thing you could try is to run the portable version when you're in Safe Mode (press F8 while Windows is loading to access a menu with the Safe Mode option).

Last edited by Andrew (2008-06-18 16:15)

#3 2008-06-20 04:51

Hesei

Hey!  Thanks for the suggestion and sorry for the late reply.  I'm assuming that it was some program issue or maybe an installation gone wrong.  It has been working fine with SP3 and prior release candidates, so I'm assuming it was just some sort of issue with the latest DirectX install - gotta try out Spore, after all.  Anyway, system restore handled it and Ive since reinstalled both programs without anymore errors.  So I guess I'll give it up to bad luck, at least all is well now.  Thanks again.

#4 2008-06-21 05:41

Andrew

No problemo! Glad you got it to work. smile

Ah, Spore... I'm fiddling around with the Creature Creator right now. big_smile

P.S. What're those two extra buttons on the ReNamer titlebar? Which program did you install for those?

Last edited by Andrew (2008-06-21 05:44)

#5 2008-06-21 15:33

den4b
Administrator

Hesei, the screenshot that you posted looks very very weird! I could think of a weird explanation for the main window: it uses dynamic layout and something might have gone wrong with dynamic positioning of components, which could be caused by the damaged common controls libraries in Windows. But the "Save preset" window has no dynamic layout, it is completely static, which probably means that something FROM OUTSIDE OF RENAMER has changed it. This could be achieved by modifying resource files inside the ReNamer.exe.

Also, those two extra buttons in the window caption are not standard. What kind of software are you using for them, and what do they do?

Board footer