#1 2006-05-09 09:04

andreone

Renamer: some enhancement ideas

Hello,

When using the "Remove" button, the focus should stay on the list of rules (just as "Up" and "Down" buttons do), so the "Remove" button could be directly used again.

I was also wondering if you could install a drag & drop support, so changing the order of the rules can be made without using buttons but just by moving the rules with the mouse.

And at last, since you remove the feature that created rules when analyzing string/file, it could be great to have a little preview of the rule for the first significant file (I mean the first significant is the first item that will be impacted by the rule).

However, thanks for your job. I use it very often and it's great.

#2 2006-05-09 22:37

den4b
Administrator

Re: Renamer: some enhancement ideas

Hi andreone,

andreone wrote:

When using the "Remove" button, the focus should stay on the list of rules (just as "Up" and "Down" buttons do), so the "Remove" button could be directly used again.

It is not as simple as you think, let me explain... There is a very important advantage/concept for removing focus after Removing the item (for the Rules list and the Files table). First of all, it is important to notify user (visually) that something in fact has been removed, otherwise you might blink your eye and you will not even notice if anything has been removed or not. Second fact, and the most important, imagine you click twice the Delete button (maybe accidentally) - IF focus is there - TWO items will be removed, and that can bring a lot of frustration. Personally, I completely agree with you, and would make the focus stay if I would be the ONLY user of this program, since I would be aware of that. But, as you probably know it your-self, users tend to do some silly stuff sometimes, and I simply want to protect them. Hope you understand smile

andreone wrote:

I was also wondering if you could install a drag & drop support, so changing the order of the rules can be made without using buttons but just by moving the rules with the mouse.

That can be done, and I'll implement it once I get some free time (in few days), and I'll post a download link here smile

andreone wrote:

And at last, since you remove the feature that created rules when analyzing string/file, it could be great to have a little preview of the rule for the first significant file (I mean the first significant is the first item that will be impacted by the rule).

I will think about this one, can't promise anything yet, but I know that there is a need for that feature..

#3 2006-05-10 13:01

andreone

Denis Kozlov wrote:

Hi andreone,
It is not as simple as you think, let me explain... There is a very important advantage/concept for removing focus after Removing the item (for the Rules list and the Files table). First of all, it is important to notify user (visually) that something in fact has been removed, otherwise you might blink your eye and you will not even notice if anything has been removed or not. Second fact, and the most important, imagine you click twice the Delete button (maybe accidentally) - IF focus is there - TWO items will be removed, and that can bring a lot of frustration. Personally, I completely agree with you, and would make the focus stay if I would be the ONLY user of this program, since I would be aware of that. But, as you probably know it your-self, users tend to do some silly stuff sometimes, and I simply want to protect them. Hope you understand smile

Ok, you're right.
Altough I am myself a software developper, I often forget to protect the users against themselves :no:

Denis Kozlov wrote:

That can be done, and I'll implement it once I get some free time (in few days), and I'll post a download link here smile

I you're interrested, there's an article on codeproject about drag & drop in list-boxes without ole:
http://www.codeproject.com/combobox/dra … istbox.asp

Denis Kozlov wrote:

I will think about this one, can't promise anything yet, but I know that there is a need for that feature..

I knew this one was not as easy to do as it to say big_smile

Thank you very much.

#4 2006-05-12 14:12

dloneranger

I'm pretty sure Denis uses delphi to write this
Given that, the dragging of items around is built into the listbox - it was probably just an oversight (not hooking up the handlers is very easy to forget or not even think about)

#5 2006-05-12 15:58

den4b
Administrator

dloneranger wrote:

I'm pretty sure Denis uses delphi to write this

Something tells me that you are not mistaking ;D

Actually, I've just implemented a drag & drop support for Rules and Files lists smile

It was a bit tricky because they are not ListBoxes (as in examples on the web) - they are ListViews, which are different from ListBoxes. Particularly the Files table was a bit complicated, since more that one item can be selected, and they can be spread across the list (for example: file 1, file 3, file 12, etc..).

Anyway, It's done! I'll post a download link latter today...

#6 2006-05-12 21:18

den4b
Administrator

ReNamerBeta.zip
Here it is... with Drag & Drop support smile

Try it, and tell me how it goes, ok?

#7 2006-05-15 15:49

dloneranger

Works well smile

Suprising how much little things like this improve the interface