#1 2008-07-17 17:20

kstreeter

Creating a Meta tag from Filename

I hope this is possible, but maybe not. What I'd like to do is to create a meta tag date that is derived from the filename (filenames have the date within the filename).

I have already figured out how to use Regex to isolate the date portion of the filename, etc.... Is there a way that I can make the meta tag conform to that?

The reason I want to do this is to do some data migration into SharePoint and use the Tzunami migration tool. I have to create a "property" within Sharepoint and use the date within the filename as that property. Unfortunately, the creation date of the file and the actual date in the filename aren't the same. Tzunami can use meta tags to create file properties within Sharepoint, which is why I'd like to snatch the date from the filename and redo the meta tag based on that.

BTW, I have learned a great deal on this site and would like to thank the great posters on here. You've made my job immensely easier!

#2 2008-07-17 19:51

Stefan

Re: Creating a Meta tag from Filename

Hi kstreeter, welcome.

I'm sorry, ReNamer modifies file names only, not the files content.

In other words, ReNamer read meta tags only, it didn't write them back into file.

Depending of the type of your file you have to use an file-type related tool to write such meta information.
If you would provide more specific info about your file -- maybe someone can point you to such an tool?!?!?

Last edited by Stefan (2008-07-17 19:55)

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#3 2008-07-17 21:06

kstreeter

Hi Stefan,

Thank you very much for your speedy reply! The files I need to modify the properties on are .pdf files. I'm sure such a utility exists out there, but I was hoping that somehow Renamer could do it while I'm changing names so I could save a step.

Even so, I'm extraordinarily thankful for what it CAN do however. What a well thought out program it is!

Best regards,

Kris

#4 2008-07-23 18:34

den4b
Administrator

Hi kstreeter,

Yes, you can incorporate any command line tools into ReNamer, via PascalScript. There have been several topics about it, and it was use with several different tools. There was one even for PDF files.... PDF tags (pdfinfo.exe)

Have a look, maybe that example will explain better than my words!

Board footer