#1 2008-08-13 00:58

krtek

Sorting files table by depth of direcory in structure

Hi,
I'm quite suggestive tonight wink That's the last one roll

I'm thinking about the problem of need to rename subfolders before parent folders and I came up to an idea of sorting files table accordingly to the depth of folder in the directory structure.
So it would need to find the deepest folder in the files table (accordingly to the number of \ in the path wink ) and then sort the files table in the descending order:
first files from the deepest folders, next deepest folders, next files from folders second to the bottom and so on...

Thanks to such sorting we would be able to rename whole directory tree in one go with quite a big certainty that everything will be ok.

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#2 2008-08-13 09:53

Andrew

Re: Sorting files table by depth of direcory in structure

krtek, isn't this suggestion just a response to my suggestion #3 here - http://www.den4b.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2377#p2377? Why not post it as a reply there instead of opening a new topic for the same thing?

#3 2008-08-13 12:39

krtek

Andrew,
To be honest it's a response to clapps problem (http://www.den4b.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=489&p=1) tongue
But it definitely concerns your #1 and #3 suggestions from the topic you've mentioned.
I was so focused about your #4 suggestion, that I forgot that topic started from something similar roll

One more evidence of importance not to mix to many subjects in one topic cool
I will leave it as it is. It will ease discussion. wink

Last edited by krtek (2008-08-13 12:44)

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#4 2008-08-13 15:19

Andrew

No problem! smile Let's leave it here and hope Denis responds to say if this is possible or not...

#5 2008-11-18 02:56

den4b
Administrator

Guys, are you totally missing out on the sorting feature and extra columns of the files table?! yikes

Rick-click on the table's column to get a full list of available columns, then enable "Folder" or "Path" columns, left-click on it twice once it is visible - and there you go, files are sorted in reverse order by their depth/path. Now you can safely rename your directory structures. This has been covered a number of times I think.

Board footer