#1 2006-06-28 22:45

dloneranger

About the rules, and WinXP manifest

Would it be possible to add a checkbox to enable/disble specific rules?
Most of the time, my rules only require this ability

I know that we can save/load the rules, but it'd be nicer to just be able to tick a box big_smile

ps. V4 is looking like the buiseness

#2 2006-06-29 12:18

den4b
Administrator

Re: About the rules, and WinXP manifest

Hi there smile

I had that idea in my mind many time, but there was one thing that always stopped me from implementing it... It will probably get a bit messy: checkboxes everywhere will be very confusing. I will actually try adding them later, and will see how it looks. But I have a feeling that they will not stay in ReNamer. I might share it, so you can have a look as well.

Keep checking this thread big_smile

#3 2006-06-30 12:02

dloneranger

That's ok - I like messy big_smile

By the way V4's working fine - the speed and sorting improvements are appreciated
I'm not quite sure why line numbers are displayed in the rules section - they don't serve and purpose that I can see offhand :conf:

#4 2006-07-02 23:27

den4b
Administrator

dloneranger wrote:

I'm not quite sure why line numbers are displayed in the rules section - they don't serve and purpose that I can see offhand :conf:

They show a logical order of the rules, the order in which they are going to be applied to the filename...

By the way, here are your checkboxes: ReNamerBeta.zip

It doesn't look too bad... tell me what you think smile

#5 2006-07-04 18:53

dloneranger

Ah, that's great - cheers big_smile
I can keep most rules on screen and just enable/disable the ones needed at the time
Saves having to load/save rules a lot of the time and they're not intrusive

#6 2006-07-06 23:01

dloneranger

But......

(You knew there'd be one didn't you.........)

How does storing the state of the checkboxes sound to you ?

I'd drop the line numbers - unless there's a 'failed on line x' dialog I haven't seen, all they do is indicate that the rules are applied from top to bottom ?

Oh, and just an observation - the app has a manifest added yes?
The check boxes aren't displaying using the running theme - they're black, should they be green ?
Probably a limitation of the component I guess
Drives me crazy when I've got a component that does exactly what I want but misses out or one or two trivial things big_smile

Overall - I like the version with checkboxes better than the standard
Plus - I get that warm satisfied feeling of having a custom version

On a things to do list I'd rate these comments as 1 out of 10 (Maybe, if i'm really, really bored) smile

#7 2006-07-07 15:25

den4b
Administrator

Ahh... I just knew you would ask for that tongue

You wouldn't believe, but remembering checkboxes for the rules is more complicated then it sounds. It is because of the new architecture. In old versions of ReNamer, files and rules were all stored in the graphical components. But recently, I have completely redesigned the whole application, so rules and files are separate objects and they are not connected to any visual components. Visual components now simply provide a brief information of what's inside. I would have to change the Rule objects to be able to handle marked/unmarked states, and all the routines that manage the presets to handle those states.

And I don't really see much use for that feature. Why would you store rules in a preset in the unmarked state? Unless you want to store ALL of your rules in a single preset, which kinda breaks the purpose of the presets wink

#8 2006-07-07 16:29

dloneranger

Denis Kozlov wrote:

Why would you store rules in a preset in the unmarked state? Unless you want to store ALL of your rules in a single preset, which kinda breaks the purpose of the presets wink

You guessed !!
On a 2560*1024 desktop it's simpler just to uncheck a few than load/save big_smile

No worries though cool

#9 2006-11-28 21:50

den4b
Administrator

dloneranger,

Haven't heard from you for ages now, what happened to you? did your insomnia went away? wink

I've finally fixed that TToolBar problem, replaced if with TCoolBar (as suggested by you) - in main window and in presets manager. Later, will also fix those big blue static texts which get fecked up with manifest. It isn't because of the fact that I used Arial font for them, it is simply the way TStaticText works - incorrectly with manifest, no matter what font you select, there is a big bobo in Delphi! Try latest dev version.

Anyway, tell us how you doing! sometimes miss your continuous wave of comments and suggestions, even tho I don't have time lately to implement anything at all! yikes

Denis

#10 2006-11-30 19:15

dloneranger

Hi - I'm still around
Not as much as I'd like, but I'm still here

Take it as a good thing - I haven't found anything new to moan about ;-)

Insomnias still there and now I have the added bonus of spending a lot of time in hospital wired up to ecg's
Loads of fun, nothing quite like having wires stuck all over you and having to just sit there for 12 hours
Lucky me, I get to do that every three days

--------------------

The rest of my time is used up as a forum moderator now
I stupidly offered to moderate the TVersity forums - it's certainly keeping me busy, I'm deleting about 50 spam's a day

The additions you've made lately to pascalscript are appreciated - thanks

--------------------

So.... TStaticText
I've just had a play with them on the form, in panels, in coolbars etc
They all seem to work fine for me apart from TStaticText on a panel in a groupbox
example ftp://dloneranger.dynu.com/project1.zip
If you have an example I can test that shows the problem I'd be happy to have a look at it

--------------------

So, lets think of things to keep you working........

Ok, I've got one
If you
1) add files
2) sort by a column, lets say 'Name'
3) rename the files
4) clear the list
5) drag new files to renamer

It'd be nice if the sort order was remembered
The same holds true over sessions - persisting the sort order would be nice

What else can I think of....
Ah, how about a way of knowing which preset was last loaded?
Sometimes it's easy to forget which preset you're using
Especially when you've been using the same on for a while and need to re-save it before loading a new one

Board footer