#1 2010-05-07 08:39

narayan

Allow user to select multiple rules and delete focused rule

in case the Rules pane is loaded with many rules, the user should be able to select multiple rules at a time and delete them all in one stroke.

He also should be able to press the Remove/DEL button multiple times to rapidly remove the rules one by one.

However, the ReNamer GUI does not allow that:

1. We cannot select multiple rules at a time
    (SHIFT+Click, CTRL+Click, lasso selection; keyboard-based selection with SHFT+arrows)
2. A rule can be deleted only if it is selected (a rule under focus cannot be deleted). This factor is significvant, because once a rule is deleted, the focus moves to the next rule, but that rule is not selected. Thus the user cannot delete the next rule unless he selects it manually.

Because of these restrictions, a user has to select each rule individually and then press the Remove/DEL button.

These two restrictions should be removed.
1. Provide multiple selection method with mouse+keyboard.
2. Allow deletion of focused rule.

Last edited by narayan (2010-05-07 08:42)

#2 2010-06-03 15:13

den4b
Administrator

Re: Allow user to select multiple rules and delete focused rule

I agree that user should be able to select multiple rules, move them and delete them.

I disagree regarding the deletion of the focused rule. For safety reasons, to stop users from accidentally deleting rules on repeated keystrokes, I do not automatically select the next rule after deletion. Instead, the next rule is focused. User can press any of the arrow keys (Up, Down, Right, Left) to set the selection on/around the focused rule and the proceed with the desired action, i.e. delete, edit.

#3 2010-06-03 18:05

eR@SeR

Re: Allow user to select multiple rules and delete focused rule

Great step forward to the selection of rules. What are the changes to rules pane? Add them to history. What about lasso selection? smile

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

Board footer