#1 2010-10-24 19:19

S3pHiroTh

Cannot save settings on Win7 x64

Hello,
I have a problem with ReNamer with Windows 7 64bit, when I try to change and save the settings of the application a popup will show an error message (Failed to set data for '') and no option that I have changed is saved.
I have read many posts on this forum (and on bugs forum), but no one seems to have this problem.
I have tried to:
- Disable UAC, no luck
- Gived full permission on the installation folder of ReNamer to my Windows Account, no luck

I have tried also to run ReNamer as Administrator. In this way I have no problem to change the settings, but:
- If I run ReNamer as Administrator, the options that I have changed are changed
- If I run ReNamer as normal user, the options that I have changed aren't changed

This problem happens only on "Settings" window, if I want to change options on "Filter Settings" I have no problem at all even in "normal" mode.

I have also tried the latest Beta build of the program found on forum without luck.

Can anyone help me to fix this problem?

Regards

Last edited by S3pHiroTh (2010-10-24 19:20)

#2 2010-10-29 19:09

benbeara

Re: Cannot save settings on Win7 x64

I'm also using Windows 7 x64.  I want to copy the presets I've created to another computer but when I look for the Presets folder, it is not there.  However I have saved the presets and can't find them on the computer. 

Can you tell me where I can find the location of the .rnp files?  The presets folder does appear in WinXP, but not Win7 x64.

Great program!

Thanks in advance.

#3 2010-10-29 19:38

benbeara

Windows 7 search utility is quite different than WinXP.  After some exhaustive searching, I finally managed to find the files.  They are located in the following folder:

C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets

I didn't even know this folder existed and Windows 7 never found it before because it wasn't indexed.

S3pHiroTh:  I don't know if this helps you any, but maybe it'll give you some insight to your problem.

#4 2010-10-30 06:51

S3pHiroTh

benbeara wrote:

Windows 7 search utility is quite different than WinXP.  After some exhaustive searching, I finally managed to find the files.  They are located in the following folder:

C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\Presets

I didn't even know this folder existed and Windows 7 never found it before because it wasn't indexed.

S3pHiroTh:  I don't know if this helps you any, but maybe it'll give you some insight to your problem.

Thank you so much, I have edited by myself the ReNamer.ini in the folder you have wrote and I can save my settings.
But I don't know why the program doesn't write the changes I have made inside the Settings panel hmm Maybe a bug?
I have forgot to tell that the problem I have wrote on first post doesn't happen with Windows 7 32bit

Regards and thank you again

#5 2010-10-30 12:20

den4b
Administrator

ReNamer saves settings to the INI file only when you close the application. Modifying settings while running the application will only change them in memory, so there shouldn't be any access restrictions (except for the system settings). From what you have said, it seems that error appears as soon as you click "Save" button in the Settings dialog, is that correct?

Part of the the process of applying settings is modifying some system settings:
1) Register preset extension,
2) Register folder context menu,
3) Register "Send To" link.

I have made some modifications to the way in which system settings are applied, so it is less access dependant. Also, failure of applying system settings will not cause other settings to be lost.

Try the latest development version: ReNamerBeta.zip

#6 2010-10-30 20:16

S3pHiroTh

With the beta you've linked me works great without problem smile
Thank you so much

Board footer