#1 2018-01-01 20:15

LEON007

Installed as service but No GUI

Hi,
I installed shutter as service successfully. But could not bring up the main window. Not showing in system tray either. I can see the Shutter.exe running on task manager. Tried with system and currently logged in account. I know shutter is not designed to run as a service but is this normal behavior or I am missing something?

Bug Report: - May be this is not a bug and designed like that.

About window does stay always on top, no matter what option set on the setting.

Last edited by LEON007 (2018-01-01 20:17)

#2 2018-01-02 16:46

den4b
Administrator

Re: Installed as service but No GUI

Hello,

LEON007 wrote:

I installed shutter as service successfully. But could not bring up the main window. Not showing in system tray either. I can see the Shutter.exe running on task manager. Tried with system and currently logged in account. I know shutter is not designed to run as a service but is this normal behavior or I am missing something?

Shutter is designed as an interactive application which normally runs in the background of a user session rather than as a service. Running Shutter as a service is not a supported feature, but it is possible with some limitations. Look here for more info: http://www.den4b.com/wiki/Shutter:Run_as_service

LEON007 wrote:

About window does not stay always on top, no matter what option set on the setting.

That is by design.

P.S. Please post unrelated requests as separate topics.

#3 2018-01-02 20:42

LEON007

Hi, Thanks for replying, I already read the wiki topic before posting. I just want to know that when I run shutter as a service can I access the main window like normal (user session)? Because there is no system tray icon showing.

Alternative to service I am currently using a helper software "ProcessAlive". Sometime Shutter crashed and I don't have any clue that its not running in the background.

#4 2018-01-02 22:23

den4b
Administrator

I just want to know that when I run shutter as a service can I access the main window like normal (user session)? Because there is no system tray icon showing.

Services do not have a GUI, by definition. User controllable services usually have a separate GUI application that talks to the underlying service.

When you run Shutter as a service, it actually cannot display its GUI, nor its tray icon.

#5 2018-01-03 04:49

LEON007

thanks for confirmation, I think I am stuck with "ProcessAlive" then. big_smile

Board footer