#1 2022-04-18 22:11

ecomms

Feature Request: Deselect rules on rename

UPDATE 2: Feature implemented! Works great! See posts #8 & #9! Thank you so much developer! big_smile

UPDATE: See post #5 for a better, more clear explanation.

Hello,
I highly like this program and it is 99% perfect for me. The best I've found so far and I use it a ton!

All I need is for you to add one very simple option in the Rename settings: Clear selected on rename.

I am incredibly surprised that this is not already an option and also surprised that I could not find anyone else talking about it at the forum!

I definitely do not want to clear the rules list on rename as I tend to have further tasks to accomplish of different renaming operations immediately after a previous rename procedure.

The issue that I noticed is the following:
I have the settings to Clear renamed files on rename.
I would add some files and perform for example a truncation task to remove several characters.
BUT if I forgot to uncheck the truncation rule and added the next batch of files to perform a different renaming task (i.e. Case operation), then those files would also undesirably get truncated too.

Thus it would be MUCH better if there was an option to Clear selected on rename. It would uncheck that truncated task for example and not apply it to the next immediate operation.
Most of my use is to perform a different task after the previous one so it would be more efficient to have a Clear Selected on Rename option.

Thank you very much for an already great program! Adding this easy and simple feature will make it that much better! Oh, and also a dark mode but, can't be too picky.

Thanks!
FluxBB bbcode test

Last edited by ecomms (2022-05-17 07:54)

#2 2022-04-25 11:29

den4b
Administrator

Re: Feature Request: Deselect rules on rename

ecomms wrote:

All I need is for you to add one very simple option in the Rename settings: Clear selected on rename.

By "selected" you meant the highlighted selection of files, like files 003, 004 and 005 on the screenshot below?

Or perhaps you meant the "marked" files, like files 004, 005, 006 and 007?

file-selected-vs-marked.png

#3 2022-04-26 07:10

ecomms

Thank you for your attention to this request.

For the term "selected" I am referring to the boxes checked/marked. Therefore the 2nd portion of your question.
I do not perform the highlighting operation. So this request is in regards to the marked boxes that have the actions performed on the checked filenames.
If I forget to un-check the box(es), and didn't notice, and then add files again to the list to perform a different task, then the previous task(s) which is still checked will undesirably be performed on the newly added files.

I think this would be a great additional option to add in if possible. I and others now, or in the future would be quite pleased.
Thanks again! I really hope that you can do it. It will make the program which I think is the best I've found, absolutely perfect for me (well, again, a dark mode would be nice, but I'm still totally satisfied).

#4 2022-04-26 16:02

den4b
Administrator

The option "Clear renamed files on rename" should do exactly what you want. Only the marked files get renamed and then those renamed files will get cleared. Just make sure that you uncheck other clearing options, especially the one called "Clear files table on rename".

So if we consider the sample file list (below), files 004, 005, 006 and 007 will get cleared after renaming.

file-selected-vs-marked.png

#5 2022-04-29 09:42

ecomms

Thanks for the reply.

I see how you're interpreting my request, in regards to the actual files.
Instead, I am talking about clearing (deselecting) the checked RULES box(es) upon rename, in addition to having the files removed from the list which I already do.
In my attached image, it would uncheck the box for the Delete rule after a rename operation.

I should update my request to: Deselect rules on rename
Which specifies the operation to be performed on the Rules and not the file list and not to clear the actual rules themselves! That is already an option. I don't do this as I have dozens there.
I think 'Deselect rules on rename' is more logical. As the word 'clear' generally implies wiping away.

Example operation before my request (as the software currently is):
1. Drag-drop 3 files to the window.
2. The Delete rule is checked to delete 8 characters.
3. Performed the rename and the files get cleared from the list as my option is set to do this.
4. I forget to uncheck the Delete rule and add either the same files again (to do a different rename task) or different files and check the box for a Case rule.
5. Performed the rename and now those files got another undesirable delete operation performed to them because that Delete box is still selected.

I've been doing 100s of operations and mostly I remember to uncheck a rule(s) but sometimes I forget when really busy. It's also tedious to have to remember and uncheck the rule if no longer needed for the next task.
I whip through these sessions so every little time-saving element helps and increases the work flow rate when I don't have to remember that step.

Example operation after this option hopefully gets implemented:
1. Drag-drop 3 files to the window.
2. The Delete rule is checked to delete 8 characters.
3. Performed the rename and the files get cleared from the list as my option is set to do this AND the new option to deselect rules is set which automatically deselects the Delete rule in this example.
4. I then add either the same files again (to do a different rename task) or different files and check the box for a Case rule.
5. Perform the rename and NOW everything works fine. I didn't need to manually deselect the Delete rule and it's ok that I may have forgot about it because the software did it automatically according to the option being enabled.

I really hope that better explains it. If I was there in person certainly I could explain it better and you'd understand my request right away. But maybe now you do.

And I really hope that you can implement this. I don't think it's just a minor option either and specific to only my use. I would guess this issue has or will happen to others.

Thank you for your time!

feature-request---Deselect-rules-on-rename.png
feature-request---Deselect-rules-on-rename2.png

Last edited by ecomms (2022-04-29 10:01)

#6 2022-05-10 23:04

den4b
Administrator

ecomms wrote:

Deselect rules on rename

This feature should get implemented in the coming weeks.

#7 2022-05-11 05:54

ecomms

Awesome! big_smile You're great! wink Thank you so much for your time, for the pursuit of this feature and for a great program! It's going to make the high-volume workflow so much smoother now. The program will be basically perfect for me and of course hopefully many others if working in this same manner.
On the surface it looks like a basic program but once a user digs in it is packed with key features. Awesome work!
All the best to you and thanks again! big_smile

#8 2022-05-15 14:32

den4b
Administrator

This feature was implemented in ReNamer 7.3.0.3 Beta.

Please try the latest development version.

#9 2022-05-17 07:48

ecomms

Wow! You're awesome! It works great! big_smile
I tested it in a few different scenarios. It properly unchecks/deselects the checked rules upon Rename so they do not apply to the next files added.

What a pleasure to use now. This is going to make a huge difference in my work flow and hopefully for other users too!
That was so fast! Great work!
Imagine getting so excited over a piece of software. big_smile Well, it's a big help so it makes sense I guess.
I almost never posted this request either. So glad that I did. Hopefully it helps others too.

Thank you so much!

For other users, the new option is called "Unmark rules list on rename" which is located at Settings/Rename. Not everyone will need this but for the ones who do it's a big help.
This beta works like a portable version so it's easy to test.

The selected rule box will automatically deselect after rename:

Feature-Request---Deselect-rules-on-rename2-feature-added-WORKING.png

All 3 selected rules have been automatically deselected after Rename and now the next files added will not have those operations performed:
(my normal workflow has a list of about 2 dozen rules so before this new option it could be easy to forget to deselect a rule)

Feature-Request---Deselect-rules-on-rename3-feature-added-WORKING.png

Last edited by ecomms (2022-05-17 07:51)

Board footer