#1 2006-04-18 16:24

thems5

Replacing names according to Excel list

This is the way I suggest:
a. exporting current file names in a given folder to an Excel list (column A).
b. filling the new requested names in the Excel file (column B). Each new name in column B should replace the old name in column A in the same raw
c. pressing a "REPLACE" button to replace all the original names in the folder with the new names.

#2 2006-04-20 10:52

den4b
Administrator

Re: Replacing names according to Excel list

Thems5, did you see the "Export file table contents" option?

You can export into a CSV file, which will be opened by Excel... Will that work for you?
It's exporting the table as it appears in ReNamer: Column A = Directory, Column B = Original Name, Column C = New Name.

So I can add "Import file table contents" option, which will fill up the table in exactly the same manner... will that do the job?

#3 2006-04-20 20:18

thems5

Yes, I did try the export file name option.
But I only had coloumns A and B.
I suppose you mean that you plan to add column C (new name) to the Excel file, in which the user will fill the new requested names.
I am not sure I understand what will "import file name contant" do.
If it will replace the file names according to the Excel list (each name in column B with the new name in the same raw in column C), it would be great.
Is that what you meant?

#4 2006-04-20 22:21

den4b
Administrator

You had only columns A and B because you only had 2 filled columns in the files table in ReNamer, i.e. new names were empty. If you preview first, even without any rules, to fill up the new names - then export it to the CSV file and you'll get 3 columns wink

As I wrote in the previous post: Column A = Directory, Column B = Original Name, Column C = New Name. Export the files table, then fill up the 3-rd column with your new names, and then Import it - you'll see the results!

By the way, I've just added "Import file table contents" option to ReNamer! Try it from here:

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~den4b/Projects/ReNamer/ReNamerBeta.zip

#5 2006-04-21 11:24

thems5

It worked perfectly the first time, but in the second time I had error message: I/O error 103.
When I gave the import order, I had the error message and the names diappeared from the list (in Renamer).
By the way - can you please explain how can I rename files names 1, 2, etc, to 1,jpg, 2.jpg etc?
Many thanks

#6 2006-04-24 11:20

den4b
Administrator

I\O error 103 means that ReNamer can't open the file. In your case it probably means that the file that your are trying to import is LOCKED by another application - by Excel if you are using CSV files. The workaround is to close Excel, and then import the CSV file.

By the way, I found a way to read locked files, you can download the dev version, or wait till I release a new version of ReNamer (should be later today).

thems5 wrote:

can you please explain how can I rename files names 1, 2, etc, to 1.jpg, 2.jpg etc?

Yes, just use "Extension" rule, and enter "jpg" as your new extension in the rule's configuration smile

#7 2006-04-24 14:30

thems5

Thank yoy Denis.
Your support is very helpful!

Board footer