#1 2008-01-24 09:43

MTOakey

RN 5.10 : resorts a drag & drop and does not interpret "Original Time"

Hello and MANY THANX to you I WILL send money via PayPal,

My "Subject" was cut short by a field character length constraint, sorry.

I love this little gem, and used it all night to 'rename' about 2500 pix!!!
What I noticed was when I started to just "drag & drop" instead of using
the 'Add files' button, it would take the last or bottom file and resort it to/or
place it at the top of the list of the "Preview" pane ...

Also, I had numerous '.jpg' that didn't have the "EXIF_Date" data -
but do indeed have the same info available in the 'Revisions' tab
(a helper of Nortons 'GoBack') (but not in the 'Summary' tab) of "Properties"
dialog box with the column heading "Original Time" (I could send a pix of this window)
Can this data be extracted and utilized same as "EXIF_Date" in any future updates???
smile

Last edited by MTOakey (2008-01-24 09:46)

#2 2008-01-24 16:46

Stefan

Re: RN 5.10 : resorts a drag & drop and does not interpret "Original Time"

Hi MTOakey, welcome smile

MTOakey wrote:

... when I started to just "drag & drop"
instead of using the 'Add files' button,
it would take the last or bottom file and resort it to/or

That is windows standard behaviour.
At least you can find here one work around

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#3 2008-01-24 16:53

Stefan

MTOakey wrote:

Also, I had numerous '.jpg'
that didn't have the "EXIF_Date" data -
but do indeed have the same info available

For this you have to wait till Denis is online.

Here a few thoughts only:

An second format to store info inside pics is IPTC
Try to open your pic into IrfanView and press i, then press the [IPTC]-button to see am i right.
There are also an [JPG Comment] -button.

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#4 2008-01-25 15:52

den4b
Administrator

Hi MTOakey smile

First of all, I don't really understand where the problem is, especially the sentence:

What I noticed was when I started to just "drag & drop" instead of using
the 'Add files' button, it would take the last or bottom file and resort it to/or

The second part, to do with the exif date, is like what Stefan has said. This information can also be stored in IPTC section of the image, and it is not the same as EXIF. The problem is that ReNamer can access only EXIF information, but not IPTC. You need to check and find out where exactly does your "Original Time" field comes from? Where is it stored in the image?

If it is IPTC for sure, then you can use external tools within ReNamer to extract this information, like explained in this topic:
IPTC/XMP tag support, which then points to Date and Time from RAW images (CRW, CR2, RAW)

If working with external tools is problematic for you, then you can simply re-use the order of the Windows Explorer, as explained in this topic:
Re-use order of files from Windows Explorer

P.S. Why this topic is in the "Bugs" section?? It will be moved to "Support" unless justified.

#5 2008-02-12 15:37

MTOakey

Thanks Denis,
I have no problem "using external tools", my comment was more along the order of a future feature set or 'enhancement'. I can email screencapx of "NameDropper" that shows "Original Date" which is the date pic was taken - same as EXIF data. (just don't know how to get them to you).
Justification for keeping this in "Bugs"  - As for the 'drag & drop order' issue, it seems that if, after making my selections of which to move into ReNamer's window, I then "click & hold to drag" on the first in the list - it will always show up first and in order in ReNamer - when I click on any other in the list, it is handled differently each time, sometimes only moving the first to the last, sometimes moving as many as 50% to the bottom of the list... weird - and this is not part of Windows XP protocol - this anomaly only happens with ReNamer. Not with Photoshop, OpenOffice Draw, Roxio Media Manager, any Broderbund, or Blaze Media PRO.
As with anybody who uses your extremely wonderful product, I would rather not HAVE to use another 'external tool' which is why I was commenting in the first place.
If I can be of any assistance in this I would be honored to.
Matt

#6 2008-02-13 15:16

den4b
Administrator

Hi Matt,

So did you try the Exiv2 tool (from one of the topics above)? It should be able to read your date-time stamp. If it can, then you can integrate it into ReNamer. I would be more than happy to integrate support for IPTC tags, if only I could find a free and open-source library for Delphi which would let me parse IPTC tags. I simply wouldn't have time to implement it from scratch.

Regarding the "drag & drop order"... First of all, it is not an anomaly. Second, you are mistaking by thinking that it happens only in ReNamer. The fact is: the order in which you select the files affects the order in which these files are sent to the application. As explained in the linked post, in order to keep you original order – you have to drag by the top file. The possible reason why other programs don't have this issue is because they probably sort the files anyway. I don't think this can be considered as an advantage, because the order in which you pass the files to these applications will be lost / ignored.

You see, ReNamer does not modify the order in any way, unless automatic sorting functions are enabled. It simply pastes the files EXACTLY as they were sent to it, which is important for the tool of this nature.

I hope this explains your problem.

P.S. Will move this topic to the Help and Support section, later on.

Board footer