#1 2008-10-02 07:20

admsupport

Renamer vs Metamorphose

Hi, this is just a question, not a debate tongue

1. I have absolutely no knowledge about programing at all
2. However while trying two free renaming applications:
a) ReNamer
b) Metamorphose

The former returned more errors with the same string folder names.

a) I have used similar pre-set rules in both application (very basic rules indeed)
e.g: remove the [], replace (+ mp3) into [mp3]
b) the file stings of the folders to clean were a little complicated
e.g: 000 Artist Name - [Album name] (+ mp3) [encoder] - [K] - [T] - [D] into: 0000 Artist Name - Album name [mp3] [encoder] [K]

Sometimes Renamer made a confusion between the Album name et following sting only with some folders.
Metamorphose returned 100% accuracy with the same rule/filers, even with Unicode language with some Russian titles.

So here is my question and it is very simple. Metamorphose uses python language and ReNamer another one (I have forgotten the name). Is that possible a language be more robust than another?

Last edited by admsupport (2008-10-02 07:21)

#2 2008-10-02 09:46

den4b
Administrator

Re: Renamer vs Metamorphose

Regarding your renaming question, first, I must say one very fundamental fact: 99% of the time when renaming operation does not do what you expect it to do because of the misunderstanding / misuse / not-complete-understanding of the renaming options rather than because of the application. With ReNamer, you can achieve any renaming operations, you just need to know how. In other words, it will do exactly what you tell it do, no less but not more. So the only reason why ReNamer would make any sort of confusion is only because of the way in which you defined the rules. So back to your example:

1) Remove first instances of square brackets
2) Replace (+ mp3) with [mp3]
3) Use regex [-\s]*\[[^\[]*?\]$ to remove contents of last brackets

000 Artist - [Album] (+ mp3) [encoder] - [K] - [T] - [D].mp3
->
000 Artist - Album [mp3] [encoder] - [K].mp3

renameradmsupportle0.gif

Regarding your second question, I never actually programmed in Python language so I cannot judge about its robustness. But if my understanding is correct, Python is mostly used for web scripting, while Delphi (the language in which ReNamer is written) is a powerfull kit for developing windows applications from desktop to enterprise wide.

#3 2008-10-05 00:32

admsupport

Re: Renamer vs Metamorphose

den4b wrote:

So the only reason why ReNamer would make any sort of confusion is only because of the way in which you defined the rules. So back to your example:

Regarding your second question, I never actually programmed in Python language so I cannot judge about its robustness. But if my understanding is correct, Python is mostly used for web scripting, while Delphi (the language in which ReNamer is written) is a powerfull kit for developing windows applications from desktop to enterprise wide.

Hi Denis,

Thank you for your clear answer (Regular expression/programming language). No offense, but my post explicitly mentioned only pre-made rules, because they were easy to use. However, the understanding of the Regular Expressions seems to be so fundamental for the proper use of a renaming application, at almost any level. It is time for me to level up smile

Mark

Last edited by admsupport (2008-10-05 00:34)

Board footer