#1 2006-06-30 15:07

Ron

Preview and Unchecked Files

Hi Denis,

I wonder if it would be possible to change the behavior of unchecked files in the preview window:

Example:

When I add a directory with mp3 files that I want to rename and this directory also contains some other files (like a playlist, or cover jpg's), I can uncheck these other files so the rules will not apply to them, but the preview still shows these files as if the rules have been applied to them, although the actual "Rename" function  does work as expected  (only renaming the mp3 files, not the other ones).

It's not a serious problem of course, but it is a bit confusing.

Ron

#2 2006-07-02 23:54

den4b
Administrator

Re: Preview and Unchecked Files

Hi Ron,

I guess you are right about the confusion, since you are not the first one who wrote me about this. But I had few reasons for checkboxes to behave like that (preview anyway, but not don't rename if unchecked). And the greatest argument is... Why would you need files in ReNamer that you don't even want to preview? I know that they were added with other files, but you could simply remove them (by selecting them and pressing a Delete key).

Anyway, I've implemented this new behavior in the latest development version, try it from here: ReNamerBeta.zip

Tell me what you think smile

#3 2006-07-17 10:44

Ron

Sorry for the late reply Denis, but this is working fine now.

Btw, it's a bit difficult to keep track of which (beta) version of the program is the most recent, because they are posted in individual forum replies and all are called "ReNamerBeta.zip" without a version number.

Thanks,
Ron

#4 2006-07-17 10:52

den4b
Administrator

Yeah, the "ReNamerBeta.zip" is a very vague name, but it works smile

It is always the latest development version, and in 99% of the cases features that are implemented in it will stay in the later releases! I would like to keep that path consistent, so any user at any time could access the latest development version... I usually update it once I've done few changes, so that's the logic behind it big_smile

Edit:
I always update the "What's New" list in the About section, that's how one can distinguish the most recent dev version.

#5 2006-07-17 12:29

Qkid

In a previous thread made by me regarding marking items you added Mark by Mask which is great and helps a lot.

What I was meaning in the thread also was though can you tie in some of these functions in rules so we can add some more automation in our rule presets.

I was thinking a MarkByMask and an InvertSelection function would be enough to select most items as this would allow you to choose the files you want to rename.

ie if I wanted to add deleteMe to files in a directory other than mp3, sfv and md5 files, i could do

MarkByMask(mp3, sfv, md5)
InvertSelection

Just thought a bit of automation is the selection process might be nice in case you were using a rule preset over and over smile

Thanks again for the great program.

#6 2006-07-17 14:33

den4b
Administrator

LOL, I thought I've escaped from that topic ;D I guess it deserves an explanation, and here it comes...

First of all, It is a great idea, honestly! But putting these to rules will simply not work, because: 1) once a rule gets the filename - it is to late to select, mark, sort, or do any manipulation on files at all; 2) rules are executed for each file. I can't think of any good spot where I could add this feature, not yet...

On the other hand, I have an automation workaround for you! smile

You could use PascalScript rule to PSEUDO-FAIL-TO-RENAME those files that you don't want to rename. Taking your example about adding "deleteMe" to files that are not mp3, sfv or md5: Just add "deleteMe" to ALL of the files (including mp3, sfv, md5), and after that rule add a script that will empty the filename of those that mp3, sfv and md5 files, thus, making ReNamer not been able to rename them because their new filenames would be empty.

var Ext: WideString;
begin
  Ext := WideExtractFileExt(FileName);
  if (Ext = '.mp3') or (Ext = '.sfv')
  or (Ext = '.md5') then FileName := '';
end.

The script above will empty the filenames of all mp3, sfv and md5 files. Use it after inserting "deleteMe" to all files... Tell me what you think, ok?

#7 2006-07-17 17:21

Qkid

Cool that workaround will work great.

I did look at the Pascalscript to see if it could be emulated via that but didn't see anyway to mark the files. Didn't realise files would fail so good to know that for the future.

Cheers for looking into it smile Yeah no probs maybe if you ever tweak the way things work again you can add things like that. Good to have a workaround anyway.

Board footer