#11 2009-02-10 00:31

den4b
Administrator

Re: Add the current folder from Windows Explorer directly

Yep, I don't see the problem here.

Use 1 of many methods for adding files/folders:
Drag & Drop, Copy & Paste, Send To, Add To ReNamer context menu option.

#12 2009-02-10 01:33

narayan

Well, the difference is that when you are IN a directory, any changes brougtht in by external activities are reflected there. On the other hand, when ANY number of files are added to ReNamer first, the folder is not involved "live".

Send to-/copy-paste/drag-n-drop are all age-old ways of adding the selected files/subfolders to ReNamer. So CTRL+A etc will do it strictly on ONE TIME basis. But that's not the same as "opening the folder", is it?

#13 2009-02-10 08:47

prologician

So... wait, you want ReNamer to reflect changes which occur in a directory (ie, external renames, adding new files, etc.) in realtime?? *O_o*

From what I've seen, the way ReNamer appears to be laid out is markedly different than what you're trying to ask for. When you dump files in, ReNamer basically takes the files (in some respect...) out of the context which they were originally in (ie, directory). To go back and then ask for putting that context back in.... would basically mean rewriting the program in a big way. (If I'm wrong on this description, someone correct me please! big_smile )

(If this isn't what you're going for, narayan, please explain it further. Considering we're on page 2 of this thread and we haven't entirely figured out what you're asking for... clearly something is being lost in explanation.)

#14 2009-02-10 16:12

narayan

Actually I went searched through the website, and came across the beginners' guide (pdf). It describes that the purpose of loading a folder is to load all its files at once.

So it turns out that I had a wrong impression that when we load a folder, ReNamer sort of opens a window that "looks out" on the actual folder in real time. So while it may change the files, it also shows anything happening to the folder's contents.

This approach is taken by other software. For example, in dual-pane explorer replacements, both the panes can show the same folder, but with different display settings. Further, any changes carried out by another software appears in both panes instantly. I expected the same here...

To conclude, finally I wonder why provide a separate "Load folder" window at all? The load files command is sufficient! All we have to do is to press CTRL+A there to achieve the equivalent of loading the folder. At the most a "select all" button would have served the purpose.

On the other hand, if the "Load folder" shows the live situation in that folder, then it does merit a separate GUI.

Last edited by narayan (2009-02-10 16:16)

#15 2009-02-11 00:02

Andrew

Yes, but what if you want to load the contents of multiple folders? Then what do you do? Keep navigating to different folders, press Ctrl+A each time and add the files? Instead why not just select the folder names and add everything in one go?

Also, now that we've come to the point, no, the file/folder list is not a "live" view. prologician's right - that would involve unnecessary complexity and doesn't really make sense for a renaming program (esp. one that's not an explorer replacement). After all, you're renaming the filenames that you saw while adding to the list. If these names are dynamically being changed in the background, or the files are being deleted/moved etc., then that's not ReNamer's job to deal with, it's yours.

narayan wrote:

BTW the term "Filter" is non-standard in ReNamer. Usually "to filter" means to remove/hide some items from the displayed list. Here the term means "how incoming items are pre-processed before they are added to the list". This term is more usual in multimedia application, where a incoming video is passed through a "pre-processing filter".

But is that intuitive for a renamer?

As far as I'm concerned, it's perfectly fine. "File Filter" is a well-accepted programming expression (and even an interface/class/property in many languages) that deals with selecting only particular extensions (*.jpg, for example), or files with only particular attributes (read-only, hidden etc.) Here too, the filters are removing/hiding some items from the displayed list based on your choices. In any case, not a high-priority 'fix' whatsoever.

Last edited by Andrew (2009-02-11 00:14)

Board footer