#1 2008-02-28 17:03

Kenshiro

Where are presets stored on Vista

I'm using Renamer over Windows Vista.

I'm tired of giving confirmation to every action I do. So I disabled the Acount control.

If I do that i lose all may presets. The same this occurs if I run Renamer as an administrator. (my user account is an Admin)

I'm searchinf the Presets on the HD but I can't found it.

My question is: How can I export the presets to re-import then whe I use the "other account"?

Or

Where are stored the presets? to copy them to the new location.

Thanks

#2 2008-02-28 18:54

krtek

Re: Where are presets stored on Vista

Presets are stored in the ReNamer's folder... In subfolder named "Presets".

I don't know how it is on Vista, but if you wouldn't find your presets there it may be connected with user rights.
I had that problem with v.4 of ReNamer on my WinXP non-administrative user account. I couldn't save any preset unless I ran ReNamer with administrator rights (either by Run as or RunAsSPC). Well, I could save preset to be accurate, but as soon as I shut ReNamer my presets dissapeared. I think it was something about access to drive C: (as I had ReNamer in C:\Program files" folder) on restricted user accout.
Now I am using v. 5.20 of ReNamer and everything works perfectly. No problems with saving presets.

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#3 2008-02-29 00:02

Kenshiro

This was my first option.

Looking in the Presets Manager I saw this path, but the forder is empty.

Reading your mail I look again the folder. Empty.

After trying to locate the files in that folder using total comander, the command line, the explorer running it as administrator...

Empty Again. But I saw under the address bar a button whith the text "Compatibility Files". Clinking this button the preset files appear at last.

I have found info abuut this.

Windows vista dont like progran writing files in "protected areas", this means HD root folder, all the foder tree under Program files, and practically all the folders except your profile folders.

So the files are created in other locatión and virtualized to the original path.

I hate the paternal ways of Windows vista. It is filled of parental guidance that I dont need.

Thank you

#4 2008-03-04 21:38

den4b
Administrator

I'm glad that you have found the presets on Vista!

I don't use Vista my-self, but surely this will help other users with the same problem smile

In future, I'm planning to add an option to select the location of Presets, Scripts, Translits and INI file.

#5 2008-03-10 21:14

dloneranger

I've been reworking my stuff to be vista compliant - pretty much it's just doing what microsoft recommended ages ago and is just being enforced now

In the installer only
Put your 'alterable' presets (ini files, data etc) to commonappdata folder
Save any defaults in the registry to HKLM

In the program
Read ini's etc from userappdata - if that fails read from commonappdata
Same with registry, read from HKCU - if that fails, read from HKLM (important note: open registy in read only)

When you come so save changes all changes go to userappdata and HKCU
(unless it's some file that's shared between users when you should keep them in commonappdata)

The big thing is 'never ask for write priviliges' for program files, windows etc, and remembering that tregisrty defaults to having write access also

Don't know if it'd be of interest but I uploaded my quick'n'dirty registry access unit to rapidshare (3k zip) http://rapidshare.de/files/38795216/KpRegs.zip.html
(Follows the rules for loading/saving values and defaults to 0/''/0.0 for non existant values if you don't supply a default)
Copy/read/laugh at will :-) it could be simplified, but it was just a quick boilerplate and I'll get around to it one day
Anyhow, it handles integer, string, boolean,date,time,datetime,tstringlist on vista and backwards

I never seem to use ini files, but it's the same idea but easier - just a fileexists check

[edit]
If you want anyone to test that stuff works on vista send me an email dloneranger@blueyonder.co.uk - I'll do any testing you want

Last edited by dloneranger (2008-03-10 21:25)

#6 2009-07-01 21:03

allado

Just to point out that my Vista7 rc1 acts a lot like Kenshiro's Vista.  I had to create first the "Presets folder" and then do the "Compatibility Files" thing to see the .rnp files.

#7 2009-07-01 22:28

Andrew

Do you mean Windows 7?

Board footer