#1 2006-08-05 17:13

shonu

Renamer: "Textbox" renaming

Hi

another idea, that is in my mind for so long, but never had time to create my own little application:

It would be nice to be able to edit the filelist in a text-field just like any text-file.
But when you save thos changes, it changes the filenames.
It is exactly as if I would edit the files here in this forum-box:

Original         edit-box (free up and down movement with cursor, also supporting column mode)
003_01.jpg     3_India_01.jpg
004_02.jpg      4_India_02.jpg
005_03.jpg      5_India_03.jpg
006_04.jpg      6_India_04.jpg
007_05.jpg      7_India_05.jpg

Such edits, expecially when using column mode, can be done much faster than thinking about a regular expression of an action module.

Hope you get what I mean

Thanks

Shonu

#2 2006-08-05 18:13

dloneranger

Re: Renamer: "Textbox" renaming

good news again - you can!

with no rules do a preview, and then you can click on the names in the right hand column to rename them just like in explorer

#3 2006-08-05 18:39

shonu

Hi

thanks, but I know that. For this I could also use the explorer.

The advantage to have a vertically-freely roaming column is, that I can qickly jump to the next/prev line without needing to save my current edit. Saving would take place when I hit an additoon button "Save text changes"

Addding the feature of "column mode" (with column-select possible) you can also add and remove text from all files quickly.

I am using Ultraedit and love that feature. PSEdit is a free version - try it and like it!

#4 2006-08-05 18:51

dloneranger

hmmmm, could you explain that a bit better - i don't quite get what your after if that idea isn't it
an improvement would be if the up/down arrows moved up and down the file list and selected the text (leaving the extension intact), but apart from that i'm not sure exactly what you mean

you can change the file manually as many times as you like, the files are only renamed if you press the rename button, so i'm kind of confused about

The advantage to have a vertically-freely roaming column is, that I can qickly jump to the next/prev line without needing to save my current edit. Saving would take place when I hit an additoon button "Save text changes"

as far as i can see, this is how it works now ?

if you'd like it changed, you'd have to explain exactly how you'd like it to work, at the moment it's a bit too vague wink

Last edited by dloneranger (2006-08-05 19:03)

#5 2006-08-05 23:57

shonu

Imagine a text file with a list of files (like the export file-list option in Renamer)
With my Editor I can switch to Column mode. I am then enabled to select text in blocks (also knwon as block-mode) vertically, without selecting always the rest of a line.
Example (edgy brackets indicate the selected text)

Column mode: Cursor first position, then hold shift and move down to last bracket:
[fi]le1
[fi]le2
[fi]le3

normal select mode: All previous rows are completely selected
[file1]
[file2]
[fil]e3

You can then simply cut and add or replace the letters whoch are vertically in the same position

I know it is a bit hard to explain, and I am not a born englisch, but many advanced editors have this feature. I got to know and love it 3 years ago - and it made many things easier, especially in mass renaming operations in DOS boxes (dir /b>rename.txt and then adding the proper command prior to any file name, etc.)

Ah, and the example of my last thread was also done with column mode. I was able to copy a block right side to the other:
1st Block            2nd Block
003_01.jpg      3_India_01.jpg

Anyways, don't thin too much about it. Denis will get the headache big_smile (sorry Denis)

#6 2006-08-06 09:07

dloneranger

much better description (your english beats my foreign language skills wink )

this can be done with a variety of rules
1) delete - position 1, count 2
2) replace 'fi' with whatever you'd like
[fi]le1
[fi]le2
[fi]le3

you can do this with the delete and insert rules
1) delete - position 1, count 2
2) insert '_India_' at position 2 and you will get this
003_01.jpg      3_India_01.jpg

there's no easy way to change them when you want different names for each file though
003_01.jpg      3_01 at home.jpg
004_02.jpg      4_02 in the garden.jpg
005_03.jpg      5_03 at the park.jpg
etc

ps
just for information, the latest version can always be found here ReNamerBeta.zip

#7 2006-08-07 18:54

den4b
Administrator

shonu, did you know that you could export the whole table of files (original path vs. new name) to a text file or csv file?

Once exported, you can edit it with a text editor or MS Excel which would recognize the columns and rows and will work exactly like you wanted smile

Click on the Options button, just above the files table, to get the menu with those export features...

Board footer