#1 2010-07-15 00:53

auwebio

Highlighting of Changed Files + Comment possible for each Rule

Hello, Denis.
I'm loving this forum so far. People here are very helpful! And I can not give you enough praises for your wonderful Software!  smile

I've been using ReNamer for a long time and I probably could give you more than a couple of suggestions, but I really think that wouldn't be OK.

I will give you though the 2 things that have been 'bugging' me the most. They're actually kind of silly and if you can't make anything about it, there's absolutely no problem:

(1) - I am colorblind, so when I enable the option to highlight the changed files it is extremely difficult for me to differentiate between the RED and the BLACK files, specially now that the highlighted files do not go BOLD anymore (I believe in earlier versions, they used to go bold, didn't they?)

--> So, my suggestion is that you enable, if possible, the Highlighted changed files to go BOLD again and, also if possible, change their color from RED to a more distinguishable color for us (colorblind people), like Blue for example; it would be even better if we could have an extra column with a "changed" flag, so that we could sort those files that have changed/not changed the same way we do when we click on the "New Name" column. (I previously thought the "State" column was meant to do that, but here it sorts nothing). This way it would also be very good for the most visually impaired people to realize which files are changing and which ones are not.

(2) - Sometimes we create some very intricate patterns of rules and they are so useful for some situations that we even add them as presets. The problem is that months later if we come to use those presets again and there is a slight change in the filenaming pattern, we have to analize each rule one by one again to understand how they work and where is the error and where should we correct things.

--> So, my suggestion is that you enable, if possible, an optional "Comment=" field for each Rule, besides the existing "Name=/Config=/Marked="; it would be even better if we could toggle ON and OFF the display of those comments in the main interface, as another column beside (after) the "Statement" column.

Last edited by auwebio (2010-07-15 01:02)

#2 2010-07-15 01:46

SafetyCar
Website

Re: Highlighting of Changed Files + Comment possible for each Rule

1:
As a workarround yo could use the option mark only changed (http://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer:Menus … rk_submenu) and then sort by state...

2:
Take a look here http://www.den4b.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=554

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

#3 2010-07-15 02:15

auwebio

SafetyCar wrote:

1: As a workarround yo could use the option mark only changed (http://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer:Menus … rk_submenu) and then sort by state...

Oh, man!  yikes  You're really a master of this program, aren't you? Congratulations! Thanks for that, I had not yet thought of that option. It works for me -->
A) mark only changed
B) get a new preview

I will definitely be reading those 3 threads. Shoud I edit and erase the 2nd suggestion then?

Many thanks for your help again, SafetyCar!  smile

EDIT:

den4b wrote:

Sorry, but I find it to be an overkill with the custom description and configurable columns for the rules table.
This is not just about adding the "Comment=" line in the preset, this will require a lot of work as the integration will have to applied application-wise, not just in the preset. And then, it would all have to be tested for integrity...
I'm not saying "it is impossible", but the "effort" is much greater than "advantage"...

I completely understand.  neutral  My apologies. The first suggestion still stands, though (if possible).

Last edited by auwebio (2010-07-15 02:32)

#4 2010-07-15 03:54

SafetyCar
Website

auwebio wrote:

Oh, man!  yikes  You're really a master of this program, aren't you?

Well, ReNamer ot's not just a renamer for me, is more like swiss knife, is a main tool to organize my hard drive...

auwebio wrote:

Thanks for that, I had not yet thought of that option. It works for me -->
A) mark only changed
B) get a new preview

well maybe not that simple... when the files are not marked the preview an the rename are not applied to them so you must be careful with this. Is better to wait for a reply from denis for a better solution.

Last edited by SafetyCar (2010-07-15 03:55)

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

Board footer