#1 2014-08-19 08:42

SafetyCar
Website

Idea: Display filter before adding files to the list

I don't know I this has been thought before, the idea looks simple, being able to select the filter settings before adding the items to the list.

Well probably there are things around it that would need changes (most likely command line, and some presets already saved with the filter), but I thought it was worth mentioning it.

What do the rest of the people think?

Last edited by SafetyCar (2014-08-19 08:45)

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

#2 2014-08-20 04:38

Andrew

Re: Idea: Display filter before adding files to the list

You mean to say when the Add Files or Add Folders buttons are clicked it would automatically display the Filters dialog first? Personally I'd find that very irritating. And what about when files are dragged and dropped onto the program window? When would the Filters dialog be displayed in that case?

If you're envisioning something else altogether please explain in detail. smile

#3 2014-08-20 08:28

SafetyCar
Website

I never touch those buttons, I always drag and drop. But even with the buttons, the filters need to be established, because adding a folder doesn't mean you want the folder to be added, but its files. In the case of the add-files button it is probably true that you only want to add the selected files no matter the filters.

I thought of this because I find myself always escaping the drag to make sure of the filter settings, and then repeating it again (I use to drag folders in different ways a lot).

#4 2014-08-20 22:23

den4b
Administrator

This idea was on the list for a long time now, and it won't be implemented any time soon.

I envisage it as a dialog that is shown to first-time users when they add files or folders, no matter which method is used. This dialog should highlight the availability of filter settings, and must contain an option to never show it again - for advanced users such as ourselves! wink

#5 2014-08-21 07:38

SafetyCar
Website

Looks good! That way first-time users can also have more present the existence of this filter.

#6 2014-08-22 22:13

Andrew

den4b wrote:

I envisage it as a dialog that is shown to first-time users when they add files or folders, no matter which method is used. This dialog should highlight the availability of filter settings, and must contain an option to never show it again - for advanced users such as ourselves! wink

I don't know why all dialogs of an app should be automatically displayed once to users to make them aware that these options exist? Since when are users so lazy or ignorant that they can't check out all settings by themselves? Personally that's the very first thing I do when I start using any new program - I go exploring to see what are all the options the program provides.

Anyway, if this is done then for sure I'd like to see that option to turn it off so that at most I have to see the dialog once and never again unless I choose to bring it up. I'd also like to caution that some thought be put into this before implementing it. Already ReNamer automatically pops up two dialogs for new users and this would be the third. There's a fine line between being helpful with unobtrusive tips (say a message in the window corner or status bar or something) and showing modal dialogs, which most UI designers consider bad and recommend staying away from as much as possible.

Board footer