#1 2007-03-12 16:22

mojomuse

ReNamer layout: v2 vs v3+

hi there,

just sent the below via your feedback form, but thought i'd best add it in here (as suggested on that page ;-)).

anyway, i've been meaning to drop you a line for some time now, essentially asking for an explanation as to why the original layout which included direct access to the renaming options was ever changed to have the "click here to add a rule" extra mouse-click and then extra pop-up window ..?

either way, just wondered if there might be a way to somehow bring this back as an option ..?  essentially, just a minor but recurring niggle whenever i use the app - that i can't simply go straight into the specific renaming option i'm after without this extra step ;-).

for instance, could you perhaps integrate the original (now pop-up) rename list into the main window above/below the "click here.."/actions list section - and then even have both as on/off, i.e. with "x" to close or just options in the setting dialogues to show/hide either ..?

anyhoo, keep up the good work and let me know if the above makes sense/what you think ..! ;-)

cheers ...

#2 2007-03-13 20:45

den4b
Administrator

Re: ReNamer layout: v2 vs v3+

Hey Neil (it's you, isn't?)

Good to hear from you again! By the way, thanks for posting on the forum, it's a preferred way for me - easier to keep track of things.

Anyway, back to your question: "why the original layout was ever changed". Few reasons actually: 1) more streamline user interface, and not over bloated; 2) future proof, with ability to add new types of rules without completely trashing up the interface. 3) ability to do almost any renaming operations in 1 go, i.e. in previous layout you could use each rule only once; 4) ability to see the actual list of operations which are going to be performed in a human readable form; 5) much, much, much tidier development when having generalized rules like they are now.  Good enough reasons? wink

Another question: "just wondered if there might be a way to somehow bring this back as an option..?" Uhhh... No.... no, no, no , noooooo. I'm afraid there is no way back, defiantly. It might sound easy from your words, but it's actually not. Sorry about that.

#3 2007-03-14 13:52

mojomuse

hi denis,

sure is me - well remembered ..! wink

sorry to hear you don't seem able to bring this feature back somehow.  i totally understand and agree with the less is more principle, but would just really love the option to have this display on load.  are you sure there really is no way to bring it back in some form or another ..?  end of the day, a clean UI is great, but fewer clicks is even better, surely ..? big_smile

cheers ..

#4 2007-03-16 22:37

den4b
Administrator

Neil, I understand what you are saying, but it's really not that easy to add this kind of option. It is possible, but I just don't see it feasible at all, if you know what I mean: too much effort for very little benefit, especially considering the very little free time that I have now. I would prefer to leave things the way they are now. Do you know that double-clicking the white space in the rules table brings up the "add rule" dialog? Maybe it will speed things up for you. By the way, the latest version with the static rules interface is 2.35, and I still keep a copy of it on the server: ReNamer-2.35.zip

#5 2007-03-17 10:02

mojomuse

hi dennis,

no worries.  i can appreciate more than most about how precious time is these days ..?! wink

also, already aware of the double click option, but just more clicks again .. still, will have a look at the older verison, to see if it's really that much better for me after all - or more a case of nostalgia/selective memory etc wink

cheers ..

Board footer