#1 2020-01-07 13:30

feraujo

How to rename while keeping length below allowed max of 260 chars?

The file name limit added to the file path (directory and subdirectory names) is 260 characters in Windows 10. How do you rename this path automatically so that you don't go over the limit or need to rename folder by folder? Could put the option to rename the path. I have not found any programs on the market that do so. It is very useful.

Subject adjusted by moderator,  was before just "Path" only.

Last edited by feraujo (2020-01-08 03:39)

#2 2020-01-08 13:03

Stefan

Re: How to rename while keeping length below allowed max of 260 chars?

Hi and welcome feraujo.

I am not sure if such an automatically feature would be that practical,
as an program could not decide your you, which part of an too long path / file name to be shorten.

But you can enable columns in the file panel to see a counter for "New Name Length":
https://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer:Files_header_menu
Right-click on the Files table header to see the context menu that allows you to enable/disable available columns.

Next you can sort that column and decide yourself where to interact.

Also you could use an PascalScript to adjust automatically common words, like shorten REMIX to RMX, and Acetylsalicylsäure to ASS ...or like that.

HTH?

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#3 2020-01-09 00:17

feraujo

I want to find the paths that crosses the limit and shorten. If possible I want the program to search and do the job automatically. But I don't know how to use PascalScript. I am not a programmer. How do I use it?

Last edited by feraujo (2020-01-09 00:20)

#4 2020-01-09 08:55

Stefan

feraujo wrote:

I want to find the paths that crosses the limit and shorten.
If possible I want the program to search and do the job automatically.

Then that solution may help you:
Index  » ReNamer » Is there a way to truncate file names?
https://www.den4b.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=381

But I don't know how to use PascalScript. I am not a programmer.

No problem, here are people who can help you. You only need to tell us HOW
a program should automatically do that for you,
I have no good idea to do it magically, as such things are very different for any data collection / use case / user needs.

How do I use it?

See there >> ReNamer:Rules:PascalScript > https://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer:Rules:PascalScript

Also you may to want to read about other possible ways by using other utilizing Rules/Methods:
>> https://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer:Rules

More questions/help need?

If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#5 2020-01-09 10:08

den4b
Administrator

As Stefan has already explained, there is no magic function of shortening your paths in the best possible way for you, and without destroying the meaning of your folder and file names.

You should provide some examples and explain how YOU would shorten the paths, and then we might be able to automate your logic.

For example, a very crude way could be: truncate every folder name and file name to some maximum allowed number of characters, e.g. 10 characters.

#6 2020-01-09 11:52

feraujo

Good Morning!

Thanks for helping me. This program is the best I've ever used. I am Brazilian and I have difficulties with English. I will try to be clearer. Example:

c: \ aaaaaaaaaa \ jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj \ kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk \ aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa \ bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb \ AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA \ aaaaaaaaaa \ aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa \ eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee \ aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa \ cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc \ pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp \ ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff \ qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

I want to rename the way not to cross the line. Without having to rename folder by folder. Example:

c: \ aaaaaa \ jjjjjj \ kkkkkk \ aaaaaa \ bbbbbbbbbb \ AAAAAA \ aaaaaa \ aaaaaa \ eeeeee \ aaaaaa \ cccccc \ pppppp \ ffffff \ qqqqqq

Thank you .

Last edited by feraujo (2020-01-09 11:54)

#7 2020-01-09 11:58

feraujo

You can shorten the path by placing the option to exclude letters in the path or to replace letters in the path. To shorten. And not to exceed the limit allowed by Windows.

The program does not look for paths that exceed the limit. I will have to find them manually. But if the program has the option to rename the path is already a big advantage.

Last edited by feraujo (2020-01-09 12:07)

#8 2020-01-09 12:09

feraujo

Currently the program only has the option to rename folders and subfolders and files do not rename paths. I wish I had the option to rename paths.

#9 2020-01-09 12:09

Stefan

Hi feraujo ,

your example FROM:
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
TO:
qqqqqq

QUESTION:
do you want to delete qqqq or do you want to delete qqqq?
Or even qqqqqqqq?

Please be more specific, your wish is not to handle, based on the provided "example" and it seems to me
pretty meaningless, so I will no longer support your request, as ReNamer is an excellent renaming tool,
but may not be used for to destroy data or at least usability that way.

But as den4b wrote above:
For example, a very crude way could be: truncate every folder name and file name
to some maximum allowed number of characters, e.g. 10 characters.

it IS possible to perform this with ReNamer. But I don't want to give you more detailed advice for to protect yourself and your data.
You may want to read >> https://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer:Rules  for to help yourself.

#10 2020-01-09 23:27

feraujo

I can't put my folder structure here. I made a generic example for you to understand. I think you get it, but you can't help me. Thanks.

I want to rename the way. Give me options to rename the path.

Remove spaces in path, abbreviate words in path, etc. I do not know how to write the code.

There is no way to shorten the file path without deleting letters. The intention is to shorten, reduce the path length so as not to exceed the allowed limit in windows.

Last edited by feraujo (2020-01-09 23:31)

Board footer